Cornell University- what do you value about the college's perspective?

ldh8504 8 / 16  
College of Human Ecology:
What do you value about the College of Human Ecology perspective as you consider your academic goals and plans for the future? Reflect on our majors that interest you as you respond.

My hometown Ilsan is a city with an extreme gap between the poor and the rich. Some people moaned facing adversities on a daily basis while the others spent thousands for luxuries. Living in between, I observed that current political system was abused to give more luxuries to the rich; this environment instilled a desire in me to be a true political leader who would bring power to the poor in my small hometown. However, even with strong desire to work for the poor, I can't help but cast a doubt: many of current politicians must have had the same desire when they were as young as I, but now they are being accused as corrupted and incompetent. Will I be the same? What should I do to keep my original purpose as well as be a competent politician?

I find the answer lies in having a broad perspective and practical knowledge in politics. And I value and appreciate that the College of Human Ecology at Cornell University also perceives importance of those two qualities. First of all, the college emphasizes exploring the relationship between people and the world "from a variety of perspectives," and practices the idea through its liberal arts education and off-campus opportunities. I know that not every college cares about building a broad perspective, or actually practice that idea; however, in the perspective of the College of Human Ecology, I can easily visualize myself being able to perceive my hometown's political problems in many aspects, not only in my aspect. I value the college's deep consideration about shaping students not only in terms of academic knowledge, but also in terms of a person with greater sight.

As the college provides various real-life opportunities such as Capital Semester, it exhibits its perspective that "experiential learning is another important part of the Human Ecology education." and I definitely agree to and value this conception. Through my internship at Voluntary Agency Network of Korea, I realized how studying and working are different-applying what I learned through books at the real world was not easy at all: You should deal with people, various incidents happen, and so on. Knowing how learning through paper and actually working are different, I value the college's idea that it takes a responsibility of providing a full of real experience to undergraduate students; it will give me the feeling of my dream, and teach me how to work with everything as a political leader of small city, not as a mere theorist.

For sure, the College of Human Ecology is perfect in terms of quality of education, setting, reputation, and diversity. Truly, however, it shines because it recognizes and practices building a broad perspective in students and preparing students practically. I am confident that those perspectives that the College of Human Ecology at Cornell University has will shape me as a competent political leader for the poor in my home town, leading me to the path of a true politician for my community.
ginny2345 12 / 22  
i like your essay. i like the way you approached and answered the question. well done!
...are being accused of corruption and incompetence. ---I think it's a lot better this way.

What should I do to keep my original purpose as well as be a competent politician?

Excellent, this is a powerful concept for a pol.sci student to tackle. Great idea!

I find the answer lies in having a broad perspective and practical knowledge in politics.-----Hmmmm... it's a little presumptuous for an undergrad to say she knows the answer. How about an approach that remains contemplative but does not venture an answer, at least not at the start of the essay.

That last para does not sufficiently address the question you raise in the first para. I think you should double the length of the last para and really dig deep to answer the question of how to avoid corruption.

P.S. Do you see all the political hate-mongering and racism that is going on in the past few days!? OMG...

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell University- what do you value about the college's perspective?