UC PROMPT: "Describe the world you come from." BEING AN IDENTICAL TWIN

meganwood 1 / -  
No matter where I go, I'm always stuck with a case of mistaken identity. Whether I'm with friends, at school, or even with my family, I'm always being mistaken for my identical twin sister. Apparently we're so good at being identical that I have friends and teachers at school that still think there's only one Wood; that we're the same person! My grandmother can't even tell me apart from my sister. Despite the fact we look the same, we definitely have our differences.

Even though I'm younger than my sister, I'm the leader of the two of us. When we need to go somewhere, I always drive. I'm the chauffer! I'm also always the navigator. My sister has an astonishingly horrible sense of direction, while I have a pretty good one. I'm also "the talker". I'm the outgoing twin and I'm always planning events with friends, while Courtney is quieter and prefers to keep to herself more. Although we are quite different, our differences balance us out and make us a great team. Sometimes I can get too excited, and my sister is the voice of reason. She makes sure that we're always responsible and safe. Sometimes it's hard to feel like I have my own identity when there's a walking carbon copy of myself, so we like to split up sometimes. Although we're together most of the time, we do spend time apart with different friends to feel more individual.

Although it can be annoying to always be mistaken for someone else, I do love being a twin! I think the most fun part of being a twin is messing with people. We love to confuse our friends and switch places in school. Another perk of being a twin is having a built-in best friend. I'm never alone and we're always there for each other. We have almost all the same interests, so we both always have a buddy to go to concerts with or to watch the new episode of Pretty Little Liars with.

My sister and I have always been extremely close, and I hope we stay that way for a long time. Ever since we first starting thinking about college, we knew we wanted to go to the same one. We've also thought about getting an apartment together after college. Once we're older and have families of our own, we'll probably live on the same street! I can't imagine my life without my twin sister by my side, and I hope that I never have to.
Eddie Han 2 / 6  
I really like the way you wrote this piece of writing. Your words flow well together, and the content is entertaining.
I'll point out one obvious mistake that I found:

Ever since we first starting ed thinking about college,

Just read your piece over again once more, and you'll get whatever you set out to achieve when writing this piece.
No matter where I go, I'm always stuck with a case of mistaken identity.

... nice start :)
No matter where I go, I often confront situations of mistaken identity of mine.

Apparently we're so good at being identical that I have friends and teachers at school that still think there's only one Wood

We look so very identical that my friends and teachers at school still do not know there exist two Woods.

My grandmother can't even tell me apart from my sister.

Not even my grandmother could recognize which one is me when I show up without my twin sister.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

I think this is a good essay, but again, this is one of those topics that the admissions committee at UC will see several times this admissions cycle. Try adding some depth here. The essay as it is is very superficial. Add elements that really personalizes this essay and takes the reader through YOUR thoughts and emotions as you live life as a twin. This will allow readers of this essay to better connect with you and will add some much needed depth. We can help you with this and all your other required essays. -AAO

Hope this helps.

Home / Undergraduate / UC PROMPT: "Describe the world you come from." BEING AN IDENTICAL TWIN