I have developed a fascination for language and culture; Northwestern Supplement

alb4eva 1 / 2  
Prompt: What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Inspired by my background, I have developed a fascination for language and culture. By the age of seven I was able to speak fluent Italian, in addition to my native Albanian. When I relocated to the US, I would spend my afternoons watching telenovelas, being that they were easier to understand due to similarities in the Spanish and Italian languages, and hence I learned Spanish before I fully understood English. Now that I have been living in the east coast for almost eight years, I am looking to breach out of New England; explore another region of the country and get acquainted with individuals portraying a different perspective. I hope to experience this change of habitat at Northwestern University, amply known for its diverse student body and top-notch academics.

I found the most attracting feature about Northwestern to be the flexibility its quarter system offers. As of now, I plan on majoring in Spanish, however analytical statistics is also a subject of interest. By utilizing the quarter system, I will have the opportunity to experience a variety of classes outside of my major that maybe would not fit into a normal semester schedule. It would, therefore, be easier to pursue this second major, or perhaps perform a study abroad. A year in Spain will not only improve my communication skills but will positively and unequivocally influence my self-confidence and view of the world.

Along with the quarter system comes the possibility of being in school until mid-June. Nevertheless, this pleases me for I hear Lake Michigan is breathtakingly beautiful at this time of year so this is a great opportunity to experience it when the weather is perfect. Furthermore, having grown up in the capital of Albania and living twenty minutes away from Boston, I enjoy the commotion of an urban city so the proximity of the campus to Chicago is also rather appealing.

One cannot overlook the importance of the diversity that Northwestern offers. Interaction with people from a variety of Hispanic countries, for instance, will significantly enrich my knowledge of different cultures and the social environments of the Spanish speaking world. Sensitivity to human differences and the ability to relate to people from different cultural backgrounds will allow me to improve my social skills which will better prepare me for the future I seek to build.

The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences is the largest of the eleven schools comprising Northwestern University.

I am not done with the last paragraph but I would reallyyyyyyy appriciate your sincere input. (Does it sound like im bragging in the first paragraph? it really wasn't ment to come out that way)
pjw7109 7 / 23  
Beginning, you might come across as little bit cocky.
Your ability to speak different languages is great but try to sound..little bit less cocky...

Overall, i really like it. It seems like you've done some research!
good luck!
mm1994 2 / 2  
You should really emphasize your last paragraph when writing it because academics at Northwestern is more unique than the quarter system, which other schools have.
megamega 1 / 1  
So overall it's really really good. It is not corny. I LOVE your last line :)

The only question I have is: Isn't the prompt: What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

So you might want specify which school you are applying to, Weinberg? and why that school in particular?

Hope we both get in :)
Davemedsci 5 / 25  
I really like it :) you really put yourself into the essay and it is not corny at all.

If u have a chance please check my essay out for BU :)

Home / Undergraduate / I have developed a fascination for language and culture; Northwestern Supplement