"personal diversions of singing and film" - USC short answer - academic interest

helloloaf 1 / -  
Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections.

This is how it feels to skip through time. This is what evolution looks like: a small bowl of gleaming zinc trees. In an industrial sized oven, we had placed a bowl of zinc powder, topped by a layer of gold plated silicon. At 800 degrees Celsius, the gold plating had melted and, incredibly, the zinc had coalesced into a metal forest. Each tree's branches were brilliant and nano-thin. As minuscule as they were, they revealed a world of unimaginable depth--a world of creation, discovery, and possibility. That is what I like the most about science. Far from static, it is a field for exploration; there was a sense of adventure behind discovering the mysteries of the natural world. Just as I am drawn to the sciences for their offerings of adventure, I am drawn to USC for its potential to be explored. What I want most in pursuing my interests is the ability to do just that: pursue-- to continue to investigate that which interests and inspires me, while immersed in an environment that supplies me with the tools to do so. I want to be in a place where I am encouraged to explore and broaden my interests, be it in my academic tier of science or more personal diversions of singing and film. I desire an unrestricted education with the opportunities to pursue my interests and adventures--one I could get from USC.

To clarify, the beginning part is about a research internship at UCLA that i described previously in the application.

Please give suggestions and comments. I think the last sentence needs a bit of work. Any specific suggestions on how to end it?
Thank you!
student123 4 / 13  
This is very well written. The only sentence I am not fond of it "That is what I like the most about science" It doesn't flow with the rest of your sentences.

I would suggest something like: That is why I find science intriguing.
This is excellent stuff. I like all of it and don't suggest any changes to the first half.

What I want most in pursuing my interests is the ability to do just that: pursue-- to continue to investigate that which interests and inspires me, while immersed in an environment that supplies me with the tools to do so. This stuff is meaningless. I'm glad it is, because otherwise I would not have been able to give you any advice! Your writing is great. But this sentence is meaningless, and I think you should replace it with a sentence about what you really want -- your specific goals.

I want to be in a place where I am encouraged... and adventures--one I could get from USC. This, too... it is without meaning. The beginning of this essay is great!! So look at it again, and ask yourself what the main message is. Express that message at the end,

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "personal diversions of singing and film" - USC short answer - academic interest