"It's very easy to lose yourself" - Vires, Artes, Mores

bhern8 1 / 1  
Essay Topic:The Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life

In this life it is very easy to lose yourself in everything that goes on around you.
The chaos embodies you and swallows you whole. Vires is a Latin term for strength. If our strength is used correctly we can exceed any limits, conquer any obstacles that may block the way. With Mores, the Latin term for character, we can become our own person and live our own lives. With these two characteristics, we are able to live life strongly and independently.

Coming from a family of divorce, I learned how to grow up faster than most. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. When someone goes through something as devastating as divorce or death, one is forced to become the adult. You become responsible for your own life. I have become accustomed to doing things on my own without help. This event in my life really set my morals and priorities straight. I was pushed to realize what was worth my worries and what I needed to strive for to succeed. Vires, or strength would definitely exemplify what I needed to go through such difficult struggles. Without strength, you will crumble. Vires allows you to believe in yourself and be confident in what you do.

Mores is the Latin word for character or custom. Certain experiences and challenges in your life make up who you are, your character. Being born into an American Cuban family, I'm always surrounded with different traditions. I grew up trying to live two completely different life styles. Although I live in the middle of two different cultures, I have two parents that taught me how to stay rooted in myself. My parents always taught me to be my own person and that life is not about competition with others. We are all striving for a different goal. At the end of the day, I am in this world to run my own race.

After a certain age, it becomes necessary to put the knowledge that you have acquired through the years to the test. Just like baby birds preparing to leave the nest, it's our turn to learn how to fly. Our parents teach us the fundamentals of life so that we are able to grow on our own. Both Vires and Mores are needed to continue to progress. It takes Vires, strength, to stand up for yourself and to fight for what you believe and Mores, character, to always stay grounded and to always stay in tuned with who you really are. With incorporation of these two Latin symbols into our daily life, this secular world only serves as a living environment. It does not define who you are.

If accepted into Florida State University, I would put these values to the test. with my strong character and strength I will be able to represent Florida state the way it deserves to be represented. I will work my hardest to be the prime example of the Fsu philoshpy of "Vires, Artes, m\Mores", strength to achieve what others cannot and character to be the best I can be.
elevit2 9 / 20  
Vires is a Latin term for strength. If our strength is used correctly, we can exceed any limits, and conquer any obstacles that may block our way.

Coming from a divorced family , I learned how to grow up faster than most.

Keep looking out for these kind of things. There are phrases that are a little awkward as well. Other than that, I think your essay has a lot of potential!

Good luck,

Eddie L

Try this sentence without the first few words:
In this life it i Is very easy to lose yourself in everything that goes on around you.
I find it more intriguing this way!

And the first person perspective is better:
It is very easy to lose myself in everything that goes on around me.

And still, I have some fluff to cut:
It is very easy to lose myself in everything. ----Now it sounds very intriguing!

Just ideas... anyway. I am just showing you what comes to mind for me.

I think you should give another sentence to explain what you mean by this, and then refer to this concept again in the introduction to the essay. Then, refer to it again near the end.

***You used the word EMBODIES the wrong way!! :-)

This is very good writing; we are lucky to have you here in our little community.

Home / Undergraduate / "It's very easy to lose yourself" - Vires, Artes, Mores