An emerging young adult - UBC Essay Application: Tell us about yourself

Jaydenzhang0928 1 / -  
General prompt:

Tell us about yourself

What would friends, family, and community members say about you? What are you most proud of and why?

Hello, this is my essay for my UBC application. Any feedback would mean a lot to me, thank you in advance!

In the eyes of my parents, I am an emerging young adult who is independent and ready to shoulder responsibilities. I would often step up to chores such as cleaning, dish-washing, and preparing and cooking entire meals for the family. I am self-reliant in my studies and always check in with my parents for updates on my successes at school to relieve them of worries. In terms of lifestyle and academics, my parents would say I am well-prepared for the future.

To my friends, I am someone who is cheerful and outgoing, and always looking for opportunities to brighten up people's days with a witty joke or two. I am also reliable; I can be a listener to my friends' problems in life and I never let any of my peers down with my work in partnered activities or group projects. To them, I am someone who can be counted on in times of both joy and trouble.

The accomplishment that I am most proud of is being able to sustain straight A's throughout my high school studies since Grade 8, consequently achieving the Principal's List award in consecutive years. I never attained such high academic standings in elementary, so receiving the award in Grade 8 indicated a turning point that proved my efforts of pushing my capabilities. Since then, being able to receive the award has always been a prideful moment that shows how I am able to keep myself up to standards of excellence.
my parents would say I am well-prepared for the future.

Why is that so? Offer an example of your "adulting" skills in terms of being a responsible and independent person. You offered examples for everything else, do not forget to give a clear example for this reference as well. Yes, you made need to edit the content for word count allotment.

You covered most of the bases in terms of discussion requirements. You just missed out on an example of your civic mindedness in terms of how your community perceives you. This perception can be based on any activity such as religious, volunteer, or being a member of a civic organization. The reviewer wants to have an idea of how you are perceived when you are in a team atmosphere. That is because you will be among a diverse community of students. So this is actually one of the more important points of view that you can present.

Home / Undergraduate / An emerging young adult - UBC Essay Application: Tell us about yourself