Emory Supplement Essay - "A New Adventure"

Suzhou 3 / 7  
Prompt: What are the unique qualities of Emory University, and the specific school(s) to which you are applying (Emory College of Arts and Sciences, Oxford College, or both), that make you want to become part of Emory University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

There's only so much my hometown can offer. I'm more than ready to engage in a new adventure for the next four years.

Emory, with its flexible curriculum, provides a wide range of opportunities. Under the college, I'll be able to pursue biology and writing - two unrelated fields of study that have both captured my interest. Who knows where it'll take me? Perhaps I'll double major and write figurative prose on the microbiology of E. Coli. Not only that, the liberal arts program would allow me to gain a degree of knowledge in a variety of subjects I normally would never take. Maybe I'll even find a new passion - a hidden zeal for economics, perchance, or an unforeseen enthusiasm for humanities.

As a current student puts it, Emory values quality over quantity. Instead of an overabundance of large introductory science classes, seminars and special topic courses are offered that target specific subjects within biology. Many of these cross over with other subjects, like psychology and anthropology. Through this, I'll be able to explore topics in many fields I'm curious about.

Emory also seeks to take things outside of the classroom, whether it's with their Engaged Learning approach or the opportunities of internships within Atlanta, one of the major cities of the South. Education here is more than just bookwork - I can achieve a wider understanding with "real-world" experience, discover the answer to that age-old question adults love to ask: "What do you want to do with your life?"

Do you guys think my desire to attend Emory really shows?
singh955 7 / 36  
I think your essay answers the prompt very clearly. I don't know if this is me or the fact that it's 1 A.M., but your tone could use a little pinch of excitement.
worried26 1 / 23  
This was written very well, however, I think you need to be more specific. "Emory" could easily be replaced with the name of another school. Perhaps you can conduct a little more research on their website? Remember, they're looking for Emory's UNIQUE qualities, as well as why one of their SPECIFIC schools is of interest to you.
ubchiu 3 / 9  
it's great!! it has examples of every aspect you talk about and it flows really well. i like it!!

oh yea I agree the point from worried26. at least you should mention Emory College/Oxford or both. ( im assuming only Emory College..haha)

Home / Undergraduate / Emory Supplement Essay - "A New Adventure"