"Energy from Me to You" - How can you contribute to Howard University and its legacy?

TCelestin 1 / -  
Energy from Me to You

I never knew it would be this hard writing about me. You may call it writers block or me being humble, but every time I try to write, I end up writing about something other than myself. "Your personal statement should be about yourself; hence personal," I can hear my teacher telling me. I have much confidence in myself, I just love doing for others. I'm currently preparing a Volunteer Week with the Leadership Counsel at me school. Helping the Los Angeles Community become more Green, and connecting the Environmental Club, a club I participate in with Leadership. There's a certain feeling I get when I contribute to the lives of others.

I love to inspire people, from the young dancers at Lula Washington Dance Theatre, to the young actors at Amazing Grace Conservatory, two performing institutes that I attend weekly; communication through performing Arts. I remember after a performance at the Los Angeles Taste of Soul, children were screaming after me telling me how well I did. Their vibrant energy boosted my energy until we could have exploded an atomic bomb. Energy is very important in a person's life. At times, when a room is so tense, my presence cuts the tension like a slice of cake given to everyone. I was even awarded Best actress from the Making Room at the Top film program for my excelling acting and positive energy.

Eli Villanueva the director of the Los Angeles Opera that I had the honor of working with in his community opera informed me about how much energy affects an audience. He said presence with energy can be seen anywhere on stage, even in the back. Because I understood his wisdom, I volunteered myself to be in the back of the stage. I generously allowed the other cast members to get in front of me, but a reminding them of what Eli had told me. At the end of the opera, my family told me how they had seen me although I was in the back. I was so proud of myself, I learned a new performing technique, and managed to complete my homework, clean my daily dishes, and attend my church's Pacific District Youth Meeting.

As I read over my essay, I find that I can write about myself. A great speaker whom I studied for my Broadcasting Club said great success comes from pleasing the many. I will contribute to Howard University and its legacy through my energy and dedication to everyone I come in contact with. If a fellow student it pleading for help, I will remind them of our focus; to succeed and excel in becoming phenomenal Howard Alumni, hearing these words;" As you approach this milestone in your life, I ask you to pause for just a moment to reflect not only on your achievements, but on your place in the legacy of Howard University. - H. Patrick Swygert
I never knew it would be so hard, writing about myself .

I have much confidence in myself, I just love doing for others.You really don't need this sentence, it has 2 different subjects that would be better to 'show, not tell'.

I'm currently preparing a Volunteer Week with the Leadership Counsel at my school.

Helping the Los Angeles Community become more Green, and connecting the Environmental Club, a club I participate in with Leadership.Not a sentence. Revise for clarity.

I was given the Best Actress award from the Making Room at the Top film program for my excellent acting and positive energy.

Eli Villanueva, the director of the Los Angeles Opera that I had the honor of working with in his community opera, informed me ...

I generously allowed the other cast members to get in front of me, but a reminding them of what Eli had told me.This makes you sound conceited, and sounds as if the opera was your own production, as you 'generously allowed' them, yet 'reminded them'...

Home / Undergraduate / "Energy from Me to You" - How can you contribute to Howard University and its legacy?