Everyone belongs to many different communities... (about 250)

avanniekerk 1 / -  
I never realized how hard it is to write under 250 words. I seriously need some help.

I was born in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and lived there for eight years before immigrating to the USA. Being born into a white family in South Africa made me an ethnic minority, and also in the economic majority. I was raised in a post apartheid society, where people of all races could live and work together, attend school together, and enjoy the same beaches and public facilities.

I attended an all girl's preparatory school as a child. My classroom was a melting pot of different cultures; Xhosa, English, Indian, and Greek. Each child in every group brought a new and exciting experience. Most students came from Christian homes, although some girls would sensationalize mythical tales and stories told by their parents. Stories of the "Tokolosh" were frequently told, and many kids were afraid that he would come and steal them during the night.

My family was extremely close, and just as diverse. My mothers side was Italian, and on my fathers side were your typical "Boers mannes"; Afrikaans for farm men. Every Sunday, my grandma would invite the entire family for lunch. It was almost like Thanksgiving every weekend! My other grandma had me call her "Nonna", which is Italian for grandmother. She loved to cook for us, and the rest of the Italian community that lived in the same flats.

America is a lot different from South Africa. We have no family here, and it gets lonely sometimes. There are a few other South Africans that we have bumped into though, and every Sunday, we have them over for lunch.
Hi, I think this is a good opportunity to learn about the way to refine your writing by increasing efficiency. The ideas you introduce are fascinating... your life is fascinating, so the essay can be more intense if you say it in fewer words:

Born in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and lived there for eight years before immigrating to the USA. Being born into a I spent my first eight years growing up in a white family in South Africa -- an ethnic minority in the upper economic class. and also in the economic majority. I was raised In a post apartheid society, where people of all races could live and work together, attend school together, and enjoy the same beaches and public facilities, I learned _________.

That is how to "intensify."

In the second half of the essay, you tell about many interesting things but I cannot find a central theme, a message to the reader. What is the main impression you want to make on the reader?

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Everyone belongs to many different communities... (about 250)