Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"personal experience that developed your academic interests" - U of MD

sound10kp 5 / 12  
I would be very appreciated if somebody helps me correcting with my grammar mistakes and any other awkward sentences or flow. Thank you! =)

Write about the personal or academic experiences that have helped develop your academic interests. What did you enjoy learning about in high school, either through your classes, extracurricular or leisure activities? If you have any career aspirations at this point, explain how your interests match these aspirations.

As an immigrant student who moved to America in my freshman year in high school, I had a very hard time fitting into a new culture especially a different school system. Since school was the place that I spent most of my time, the only help that I could get was from my teachers and classmates. I was very fortunate enough to have many great teachers who helped and guided me through a better educational path as well as a new lifestyle in America. One day, one of my teachers asked me if I could interpret for one of her fellow teacher's student and her parents who just came from Korea.

The student and her parents did not speak a word of English and they were very frustrated about the new cultures and different school system just like I was when I first moved to America. After that, my teacher suggested me to volunteer for a local community so I went to one of the local middle schools and asked them if they needed as high school volunteers.

Fortunately, they had this after school program called W.I.S.E. program for those students who have working parents or need extra help with their homework and other school related assignments.

My assigned duties were to keep students under control from taking independent action, help them with their homework and unfinished class work, and participate in a variety of activities with them.

There were lots of students who just moved from other countries and needed extra help, and I was glad that I could be the one who could help them with their needs. By living in two very different cultures, I understand the importance of diversity in the classroom. Since American is a melting pot, there will be students from all types of cultures and ethnicity. I believe that every school needs to have at least one educator who is fully aware of the students' educational and emotional needs along with the cultural differences and language barrier problems.

From my experience with volunteering at a local middle school's after-school program, I learned how to be patient, work, and interact with other students from diverse backgrounds. That experience turned out to be one of my best volunteering memories. Working with many students and teachers motivated me to pursue my career in the field of education and make a difference in the lives of others just like my teachers did.

From that experience, I learned that I needed to study hard to be a good educator who can positively affect the students and bring out the best in them.

Home / Undergraduate / "personal experience that developed your academic interests" - U of MD