My experience editing for the school news broadcast - UBC Important Activities Prompt

the john award 1 / -  
Tell us more about ONE or TWO activities listed above that are most important to you. Please explain the role you played and what you learned in the process. You will be asked for a reference who can speak to your response. (maximum 2100 characters)

A very rough draft of my essay. I did win an award for this and it is declared under the activities list section of the application, but I do not know how to segway into it smoothly.

The most important activity to me is my position as lead editor and producer for the weekly school news broadcast which is a video detailing upcoming events in the school. My job is simple - take the raw footage and turn it into an entertaining production that accurately informs the school populous.

Working on this show for over a school year straight has taught me many skills and lessons. For instance, I must cope with strict deadlines given that the 'episodes' often contained information that would expire any later than the first day of the week. I also have to communicate regularly with the rest of the cast as well as various members of the school community. These could be club leaders who occasionally want entire promotional videos inserted into the episode after filming was done or random students whom I have to ask to gain relevant information about the outcomes of games that happened over the weekend.

Additionally, a position like this requires a great deal of problem solving and creativity. If I want to keep the show entertaining, then I must innovate my editing with every episode and if I want to innovate then I have to both think of a novel edit to do and how to do it with the tools at hand. I thought I would hate editing, but it turned out to be an experience greater than the sum of its parts. I get to creatively express myself in a way that I would never have dreamed of prior to my joining, and it all leads into a profound impact on the school community.
You can insert a final paragraph that would touch on how you won an award for your hard work. Even if it is only an inter school or school recognition, what is important is that the activity was important enough for you to be noticed. Do not forget to include the name and position of the person who will attest to the accuracy of your claims. You could use the adviser of the school news broadcast for this purpose. Mention him/her as a mentor in this case who guided you towards your success. That way the reviewer will have something to go on when he interviews the verifier. The explanation is strong, you do not need to cite a second activity. This will work just fine.

Home / Undergraduate / My experience editing for the school news broadcast - UBC Important Activities Prompt