FASHION INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY - Creative Photography Essay

lgates12 1 / 1  

being behind a camera

On Christmas morning when I was eleven years old, I received my first camera kit. Little did I know that the way I would see the world would change forever. What others see as a simple brick wall, I see as a backdrop to set the scene of a million poses. While most people daydream about what they're going to do with their friends during the weekend or what they're eating for dinner later that night, I'm envisioning a beautifully crafted photo spread in Vogue magazine. Nothing compares to the rush I get when I am behind my camera.

Photography has always interested me for the simple fact that you can never stop growing and improving your talent. The field is ever-expanding and revolutionizing the way we, as a community, think about certain concepts and societal issues. Everyone has the ability to capture life and beauty in their own way. I can look back at photos I've taken 6 months ago and note how my style has changed - and that is one of the best parts about the profession.

My preferred form of photography is editorial portraiture with an artistic element. For every shoot I do, I stylize my model - from the makeup, to the hair, to the clothes. Photographing girls is something that comes very natural to me because girls around my age are at such a vulnerable place in life and feeling beautiful is such a cherished and usually fleeting feeling. I am fulfilled when I can photograph one of my girlfriends and grasp their true essence and beauty through the image. My work transcends beyond just a simple photo; it is art that tells a story.

In the tenth grade, I was approached by my photography teacher. He asked me to submit 2 works for the local art festival. After handing in my work the following week, he told me that my photos would be featured at the festival. I was ecstatic - so much so that I entered my work the next two years, and my pictures were featured on both occasions. Seeing my photos on a huge wall with my name underneath it inspired me, and reassured what I already knew; I can do this. I can be successful doing what I love. From this point on, I started challenging myself and pushing my limits to compete in local photography competitions. In my last year of high school, I became the Vice President of my school's Photography Club and won second place in a statewide photography competition for my portrait of a little girl in Mexico. I got recognized by peers in my community shortly after that accomplishment and was invited to Mexico for two weeks during the summer, all expenses paid for, so that I could document the people and places through my eyes. Having people recognize me for my talent made me feel very honored and proud. Now that I have graduated high school, I spend the majority of my days off from work styling and taking photos of friends.

For most of my life, I have never felt like I was talented at anything specific. This negative mindset has changed due to my fascination with photography, and the positive feedback I have received from fellow photographers, peers, and family. I know that with attending FIT, my hopes and dreams will be far exceeded with the knowledge and growth I will experience while under the influence of mentors and teachers who are experienced in the industry. I believe I am the perfect candidate for the Fashion Institute of Technology because I'm hardworking, motivated, and always striving to exceed expectations. I grasp challenges by the horns and go wherever they take me. I know that I am capable of bringing fresh and creative ideas that the industry will always demand. Although there are plenty of other talented photographers, what sets me apart from the rest is my ability to receive critique (whether it be negative or positive), my craving to learn, and my keen eye for detail and beauty. The Fashion Institute of Technology is unequivocally the school for me because I have an enduring subconscious focus on what my purpose in life is - to be a photographer.
Streetwalker 9 / 39 14  
@lgates12

Hi Olivia,

Can you provide the essay prompt?
OP lgates12 1 / 1  
Yes ]

Your essay should answer the following questions: What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT? Why are you interested in the major you are applying to? The essay is also your chance to tell us more about your experiences, activities and accomplishments.

@Streetwalker
i just need to make sure that it is creative enough and that it answers all of the questions in the prompt :)
Streetwalker 9 / 39 14  
@lgates12

Hi Olivia,

From my opinion, this essay explain more about your view of photography and the journey where it takes you.

I think the explanation you gave vaguely address the first prompt and I am not confident about my suggestions to address this so instead of misleading you I will save it for myself.

You are not mentioning anything about future expectation while for second prompt I think you need to explain more of what you want to be / gain in the future after graduating from FIT and what deter you to achieve it so you need to further you studies in this major.

Hope it helps.
Olivia, your narrative focuses too much on the photography journey that you are taking. Now, depending upon whether or not this essay has a maximum word requirement, you may need to summarize this narrative in favor of better developing a response that explains how all of your photography experience makes you a good candidate for FIT photography school. You did not manage to mention your chosen major in the essay. so that is a significant problem that you have to address. Either the first half or the last half of your essay should discuss your chosen major, the abilities that you have which would qualify you for FIT as a student, and how you expect to grow yourself and your abilities as a FIT student. At the moment, your essay only tells me that you are a possibly talented editorial photography candidate. You aren't telling me why you can be even better once you learn more skills from FIT along the lines of your major.

Home / Undergraduate / FASHION INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY - Creative Photography Essay