'a formidable opponent' - University of Virginia Supplement 1

HenryXVI 1 / -  
Hello! The prompt is listed below! Please offer any constructive criticism, corrections..etc! Please be honest and let me know if I addressed the prompt correctly--I find it hard to do so sometimes.

Thanks in advance!

We are looking for passionate students to join our diverse community of scholars, researchers, and artists. Answer the question that corresponds to the school you selected above. Limit your answer to a half page or roughly 250 words.

College of Arts and Sciences: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?

It was definitely a formidable opponent. Perspiration begged to drip from my brows, but their request was erased by pale shaking hands. It was wholly impossible to defeat my foe. I threw my pencil on the desk and let out a brusque sigh; balancing this equation was frustrating. Chemistry was truly a challenge for me and I had struggled with it in my earlier years of schooling. I had gotten through my classes by mere memory and not true understanding. High school tested my ability to thorougly understand the subject.

(NEW PARAGRAPH) When the class appeared on my schedule, I instantly developed a strategy to pass--memorization. Each equation and periodic element which passed my eyes would be thrown in my brain until it would be needed once more. That strategy worked for awhile until I was given a question which required me to balance an equation and to explain exactly what was happening. My world collapsed, but something new emerged; an idea that I couldn't get through chemistry which memory alone, but with through understanding. Not only could I correctly balance an equation, but I could explain and even teach the concept to my peers who were struggling as well. Memorization could have only gotten me so far. However, comprehension has lasting benefits.
kaioulunar 2 / 10  
The transition between your struggle and your epiphany seems a little...quick? Maybe describe it a little more, or better?

Also, if you could look at mine, that'd be nice.<3

Home / Undergraduate / 'a formidable opponent' - University of Virginia Supplement 1