UC PROMPT #1- A Frog in a Well; I decided to hop out to a new world ending the years of hesitation

happyhours 2 / 10  
prompt1 (freshman applicants)
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

-A Frog in a Well

The tutoring finished at very late night. I managed to pull my body tired from circuiting around same daily routine-go to the school, study, go to the after school, study, and go home and then fall asleep. Loosening the bowtie of my white uniform blouse, I walked to home under the little piece of sky. A thousand of vocabulary words and the names of the ancient Korean kings that I memorized for whole day were brushed away as the night wind blew through me. In this summer night, the frogs far beyond the mountain croaked in harmony. I hummed a song under my breath, but my own voice could not even reach to my ears. The louder those frogs croaked, the more I felt myself feel like a frog in a well, squeezed into a standardized life routine.

I decided to hop out...
gynn92 3 / 30  
Hey! We share a similar story!

I loved your essay. Nice comparison with the frog. And your personality is easily shown through your writing. Nice wrapping up the essay too =)

Will you comment on my essay too?
OP happyhours 2 / 10  
Feel free to give me feed back even though it hurts!!:))
OP happyhours 2 / 10  
Yeah it really helped! Thanks for spending your time on me. good luck for your essay too!
Haru21 6 / 18  
Haha, I really like your metaphor, it was sweet. There were a few grammatical errors, but the overall concept is great. Sorry it took so long.

Good luck!

The tutoring finished at very late night. I managed to pull my body tired body.fromIt has been subjected to the same routine of circuiting around same daily routine -going to the school, study, go to the after school(i'm not sure, do you mean cram school?) , study, and go home and then fall asleep.

... I walked to home under the little piece of sky.
... kings that I memorized for wholeduring the day were brushed away as the night ...

... like a frog in a well, squeezed into a (subjected to might be better) standardized life routine.

I decided to hop out to a broad new world ending the years of hesitation. Holding a deep breath in my stomach, I jumped into an airplane heading to the United States. When I stepped out from the airport, I, a frog, succeeded to escape from a well that had been my shelter for 16 years. The new world was glistening just before me, pouring sunraysunshine into my darkness-accustomed eyes.

I breezily walked down the hallway figuring out where my next class was. I was amazed by the fact that people almost sounded like different species of living creature to me. On my first day of school, I failed the writing test. My ELD II teacher said I could be sent to the ELD I class. A history assignment, which was reading a couple of pages and answering few questions in the book, took me nearly three hours to complete. I realized that I was sinking to the bottom of the water gradually, heavily burdened by discouragement and loneliness. I determined to draw up all my energy, learning how to swim against the force that pulled me down.

It was a test day for U.S. history. Although I had reviewed all the chapters last night, I set my alarm clock to 4 o'clock to review again. Keeping my drowsy eyes from closing, I opened the history book. I almost burst out jumping when history teacher announced that I got the highest score in the class. Even though it was only a chapter test, I remember the day as a most rewarding moment that taught me the pleasure of accomplishment and the price of perseverance.

Now I am standing in the middle of the pond recounting the times that I have passed by. Throughout two years in America, I had fallen, sunk down and hurt by many difficulties that persistently strivedstrove? sought? to defeat me. However, I value all the struggles that rebuked me and corrected me to be thoroughlyas I am now prepared for any harder situation I will be facedadversity . I, a little frog from a well, am aiming beyond the mountain where the sea of intelligence and the jungle of challenge waiting for me to leap out again.[/quote]

Home / Undergraduate / UC PROMPT #1- A Frog in a Well; I decided to hop out to a new world ending the years of hesitation