"The most fulfilled as an English major" How I decided to major what I genuinely love

ntgsantos 2 / 3  
What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

Growing up my favorite pastime was reading. My love for reading dominated most of my childhood memories. I spent endless nights totally engrossed within pages and pages of stories full of knowledge and life lessons. As much as reading made me happy, I had always been under some kind of belief that reading and writing would only be hobbies-never anything to dedicate my future college education in. My mother having been an English college professor at a prestigious Catholic University in the Philippines always supported me and purchased all the books I ever wanted as a child. I have always been a well-rounded student, acing most of my tests in nearly every subject. I was always in the school spelling bee and could type over one hundred words per minute by the age of twelve. My teachers always boasted to my parents of my eagerness to learn and how easy it was for me to grasp essentially more difficult concept matters. These events led me to always believe that I was a smart girl. My personality has always been stronger than most and this eventually got the attention of most of my peers and family members. Therefore throughout high school I always told myself I would be like my father and become a businesswoman. Not once did I actually stop to question myself whether or not business was something I would actually want to study. During my first year in college I took an accounting, economics and mathematics class in the hopes to transfer as a Business major in the next two years. These courses never actually gave me the feeling of fulfillment in comparison to when reading books and composing essays for English classes. My grades were not as well as they could be my year at Chabot because my heart was simply not in it. Learning should be enjoyed and appreciated; not dreaded and taken for granted. I met with a counselor, Michael D'Aloisio, at my community college to discuss the pre-requisites needed as a business major. Our meeting eventually got to the topic of my favorite author I was introduced to in my senior seminar class at Moreau Catholic High School, Italo Calvino. I opened up to him about my love for Calvino's short stories and for other contemporary writers and their works. Michael D'Aloisio eagerly listened to me and began laughing. When I questioned him as to why he was laughing at me he replied, "Don't you see? You know what you love and what you want to study. Don't major in something just because it's what is expected of you. Major in something because you love it". I walked out of his office beaming with happiness as if I had just made a new discovery. But the truth is, there was nothing to discover. The love I have for English has existed my entire life. Not only shall I be truly happy as an English major, but it shall also help me perfect my reading and writing skills for my ultimate goal, which is to attend law school. I am confident knowing that there are numerous paths I could choose amongst, but my heart and my mind agree that I will feel the most fulfilled as an English major. I am a firm believer that where there is happiness, there shall be success.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Hope this is not too late for you. While you clearly stated your intended major, the second part of your prompt was not clear i.e.

"Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement."

Most of the essay was about how you tried business and found it unfulfilling until your counselor helped you realize why. Aside from spelling bees and fast typing at 12, did you have any practical experience or student activity in this field? Can you give any examples of your writing experience? You bring up your ultimate goal of law school at the end. What led you to discover this? Give examples of compelling authors and books you have read which inspired you to this goal.

Home / Undergraduate / "The most fulfilled as an English major" How I decided to major what I genuinely love