UC Gaining study skills for success

katacyklsla2ny 2 / 3  
One of my proudest accomplishments is learning to develop the skills to succeed at Santa Monica College and in other academic environments. These lessons did not come easily for me-I had to develop the willingness to seek help from those who could give it to me and ignore negative influences, even when they came from those I loved.

In high school I had planned to attend San Francisco State and to leave Los Angeles as soon as I had graduated. However, even though I had been accepted, my brother told me not to move away from my mother and my friends. I thought it would be easy to spend two years at Santa Monica College and then transfer to a UC.

College proved more difficult than I had expected. At eighteen, having the freedom to set my own priorities meant that I did not put my studies first when needed. I did not think it was wrong to take advantage of a sunny day, to spend time outside or to spend time learning a new talent. Because my mother had not gone to high school and I was the first in my family to plan to attend a four-year university, I had not known about or developed the study skills that I needed for the college success.

I refused to get help because I didn't want to admit that I needed help. My mother praised me for studying hard, but made me feel guilty if I missed family events. I wanted to be self-sufficient and thought that I could always go home and figure out anything that I had trouble with. However, to support myself, I working as a lifeguard from when classes ended until 9 at night, and then I rarely had the energy to continue studying.

During this time, I saw my grades drop lower than they ever had. I was not proud of my progress and I realized that I needed to make a change. I began seeing my TRIO counselor, Tomas Riojas, more. He saw my interests and helped me to make a schedule so I would give myself time to study and still do the things I loved doing. I learned to go to tutors and counselors when I needed help with something, rather than trying to do it or learn it on my own. I began doing my homework at the library or a café, instead of doing it at home where I would be disturbed.

It didn't happen overnight, but developing these skills gave me the ability to succeed in my classes. More importantly, I began to gain self-confidence-I learned I wasn't stupid or a bad student. It helped me get the most out of the classes that I was interested in and to be able to chose a major-Art History-that I feel truly passionate about and able to pursue.
I had not known about or developed the study skills that I needed for the college success.

One of my proudest accomplishments has been learning to develop the...

Good writing, interesting, and I could not find much to change.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / UC Gaining study skills for success