Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Georgetown: Summer Activity- Debate Camp

yennhihoang 5 / 9  
Debate provides a unique place to have conversations and in turn creates an inclusive community that allows for the free flow of ideas. My summers throughout high school were spent at policy debate camps. When I tell people about how I have spent my summers, they usually comment on much it must suck to give up three months to prepare for the upcoming season. Choosing to give up my senior summer, and many summers before that, was easily one of the best decisions I have made. Not only did I gain an undeniably great amount of knowledge, I gained a network of lifelong friends. Policy debate breeds a special kind of person: one who enjoys getting little sleep while functioning at a high level, one who is competitive, opinionated, and vocal.

Since students from all over the country attend these camps, I have friends that come from various backgrounds. Debate bonds all of us together, no matter where we come from. What I look forward to most when attending national tournaments is being united with these friends. I have lived in Utah all my life; debate friends have provided me with the opportunity to learn of unique personalities from all over the country. Not only are my debate friends from across the country special, my fellow teammates are as well. Though this annoys other students, having other debaters with strong opinions in my classes open up different perspectives that would not have surfaced otherwise. Moreover, I have become friends with those in my school that I would not have if left to chance. These are the people I turn to in times of need or to just have a good time. The debate community is the main reason why I am passionate about debate.

The activity also has opened me up to a whole new world of ideas and literature. Policy debate is entirely unique in that I can go from having an intensive discussion on Nietzsche and his ontological relationship to the Other to researching the implications of government energy policy and how countries like China, Russia and Saudi Arabia might react to those policies. Debate has given me a worldwide perspective and opened me up to ideas and philosophy that I never would have thought about otherwise. Joining the debate community has been one of the most beneficial activities I have ever participated in, and I hope to continue debating at Georgetown.

Home / Undergraduate / Georgetown: Summer Activity- Debate Camp