Girls go to College to get more Knowledge, Boys go to Jupiter; Why Wellesley College?

aritasand18 2 / 1 1  
Please limit your response to two well-developed paragraphs and no more than 400 words: When choosing a college, you are choosing an intellectual community and a place where you believe that you can live, learn, and flourish. To this end, the Board of Admission is interested in knowing your reasons for applying to Wellesley College and how Wellesley will help you to realize your personal and academic goals

Essay:
My pursuit for a college truly began with an introverted study of myself. Although it seemed unusual that finding a college would be more internal than external, my background helped me understand why. There was one aspect of my Mexican culture that I refused to follow, that women fulfilled their task as domestic workers and men as the bread winners. It was the strength of the women in my family that showed me this tradition could be broken. My grandmother, Araceli, opened her own hotel in Juarez, Mexico. My great aunt, Leticia, opened her own business and has been the president of the Atlanta Hispanic Chamber of Commerce for the last two years. My aunt, Nelia, who attended Harvard and Yale, is now one promotion away from being a partner in the Boston company she works at. And most importantly my mother, a new single parent, successfully provides for my brother and me. The strength these women expressed in their lives inspires me to attend an institution of women who share the same vigor. In watching several of Wellesley's playlist videos, I stumbled upon one called "I Got You." In the video Wellesley students asserted the passion and dedication felt at the school towards education and self improvement. I know this environment is the place that will allow me to flourish academically and personally because I will be surrounded by women who are not afraid to break the stereotype of only functioning "domestically." Also the vigor these women display does not create a hostilely competitive environment, but one that motivates and forms unity among Wellesley girls.

My academic interests dance around with political science, government policies, and Middle Eastern conflicts. I believe Wellesley will aid me in understanding my goals in the future by providing me access to political science professors such as Roxanne L. Euben. The distinction between the Western and Islamic culture is a topic I am fervent about, which she has and hopefully will continue to research. I pursue law to hopefully one day study international law and utilize it to establish just government systems in other countries. I aspire to be like the women in my family, all that is missing however is the type of education I know I can receive at Wellesley College
monaph 2 / 6 2  
Hi
I'm just a beginner, but I'd like to share my limited knowledge with others.
aritasand18

I pursue law to hopefully one day study international law and utilize it to establish just government systems in other countries.

I pursue the law with the hope of studying international law and utilize it in order to establish just governmental systems in other countries.

Home / Undergraduate / Girls go to College to get more Knowledge, Boys go to Jupiter; Why Wellesley College?