'Going out for a Chinese takeout' - Stanford Essay: Letter to Roommate

muznaa23 4 / 15  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Dear Roommate,

I'm looking forward to living with you for the next few years. I hope to find a long-lasting friend in you; a memory of the "good 'ol days." But first there are some things you should know about me.

You will probably be able to tell much about me just by how I set up my room. Everything has a place, but I don't have boxes with labels for everything on them and yet I still maintain organization. You will definitely see many pictures on the walls and in frames. I love taking pictures especially of my family and friends. Photography is my way to scrapbook every amazing moment I have and I hope we will have many of those. Living with me, you will quickly find that I love to read. Depend on always seeing a book or two on my bedside table, especially considering how I haven't had much time for leisure reading for the past couple years.

One major trait of mine is that I love to go out; I cannot stand sitting around doing nothing. I'm usually the one who bugs my mom about going somewhere whereas my other two sisters are content at home in front of the TV. I guess this is particularly results from my desire to try new things. I'm pretty sure I'll drag you into some of my crazy shenanigans, but thats where we'll have the most fun. You'll always find me making plans to do something crazy; one day I'll be listening to and interesting lecture and another I'll be taking you out to try new, exotic food. You can always count on me to help you cross of things on your bucket list. You'll soon find that I genuinely love to learn. I'll probably be explaining some new philosophy or political concept to you daily and I'm sure you'll hear me practicing new languages all the time. [(But, I promise you I will never come home drunk-its something unacceptable for me.) <---Should I include that?]

Well, you have been warned. In between chinese take-out (my favorite) and late night study sessions, I'm hoping we both can take away something positive from the experience.

Love,
Muzna
karissa_a16 4 / 94  
These are all pretty typical traits that many people have, so I don't get any specifically unique picture of you. And do not include the drunk part; it's inappropriate. Please read my NYU one. Thanks! :D
worried26 1 / 23  
Well, the room thing is pretty common for people to use in their essays when describing themselves...But if you want to go along with this and really try to make this work, then that's fine.

I feel like it needs more...A lot of people have similar traits, so I think you need to make this more personal. Perhaps include some anecdotes, or reasons as to why you love doing those things. It's a difficult topic to write about lol, but I think if you include some of these things it should help.

Oh, and no don't write about the drunk part!! Haha :))

Good luck!

Please read my essay as well, I appreciate it!
OP muznaa23 4 / 15  
thanks guys! I hope my insights helped you!
and the the drunk thing sounded way better when i thought of it in my head :P
music920 6 / 23  
Everything has a place, but I don't have boxes with labels for everything on them and yet I still maintain organization.

This sentence is a bit awkward, so maybe rewrite it a little so it could flow a little better along the lines of:Although I don't have boxes with labels for everything, I still maintain organization and everything has it's place.

In general, maybe read your essay out loud to yourself and try fix some of the sentences that sound a little awkward.

one day I'll be listening to andan interesting lecture and another I'll be taking you out to try new, exotic food.

Overall, you have a nice introduction to yourself, but maybe try make your ideas flow a bit better. Also, talk in more specifics so you can paint a more vivid and interesting picture of yourself - maybe list off a couple names of books they might catch you reading, or maybe say what kind of exotic food you'll be going out to try.

Good job! (:

Oh and no, definitely leave out the drunk part. As far as it goes with AOs, that should be a given - so no need to even have them associate that with you!
Jerlynn 3 / 26  
Agree with the others that you should leave out the drunk part. It's a little out of place. my suggestion is that maybe you shouldn't try to fit in everything since there is a word limit but instead try to expand on the ones that you think really should be included. And give details, make it more intimate and personal. Just some suggestions :)

Ps: appreciate it if you can check out my Moving Box essay.
calvinwang 3 / 32  
The Cather in the Rye

Catcher

I really like ur revision. It tells people that your out-going but also got a geeky side.

good luck on stanford!

oh btw would rly rly appreciate it if you check my essay out too
militia 1 / 5  
"Depend on always seeing a book or two on my bedside table, especially considering how I haven't had much time for leisure reading for the past couple years."

It's just a minor suggestion, but "for" may be a little repetitive so you can say if you want "I haven't had much time for leisure reading these past couple years."

"but thats where we'll have the most fun" It should be "that's"

"one day I'll attending a lecture on logic and another I'll be taking you out to try exotic Turkish food." You forgot the "be" before "attending"

"and late night study sessions," I think it should be "late-night"

I like your revision and I think you would be a fun roommate :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Going out for a Chinese takeout' - Stanford Essay: Letter to Roommate