Why is BU a good fit? community with a rich mix of individuals

yyc1 5 / 10 2  
All students apply to universities in hopes of getting a high quality of education and, in the most simplified theory, to learn. The actual success of each individual depends not on the prestige held by the university which they attend, but rather on how they utilize the available resources and their compatibility with the environment. As a student, I personally wish to spend my college experience fulfilling my desire to learn in a manner that best suits me. In order to satisfy and extend my academic curiosities, it is necessary that I immerse myself in a community with a rich mix of individuals who contribute to both the intellectual and cultural aspects of society. I place a great deal of importance on the approaches implemented towards learning, which lead me in search of a learning environment that encourages students to think and question critically, even if it means having to sometimes turn rules into theories. I strive to surround myself with others who share my eagerness to analyze and engage in discussions, rather than choosing to passively learn by simply accumulating information. BU, being a large and diverse community, provides fitting circumstances that reflect my self-motivated approach to education. Allowing me use this demographic to my advantage by exercising and proving my ability to stand out as an individual. I believe that Boston University has the learning atmosphere for which I am searching for, and hope to have the opportunity to bring to it as much as it offers.

i would appreciate any comments or suggestions :)
allenhuanliu - / 3 2  
You make some good points in the essay:
Use of resources, diversity, critical learning approaches, eager and engaged community.
Some tips:
The actual success of each individuals depends not on the prestige held by the university which they attend, but rather on how they utilize the available resources and their compatibility with the environment.

You don't need to mention the prestige thing. Prestige obviously shouldn't be the sole determinant of a college choice, but I feel like it is overly stigmatized. Mentioning it doesn't really do anything for you except for taking up space.

You should mention what BU has to offer from the get-go and elaborate after. Instead of saying, "I value x, y, and z, and I think BU is a good fit for me," say "BU offers these characteristics and programs, and because I value x, y, and z, I would love to attend BU next fall."

Also, mention specific programs of BU that interest you.

Best of luck!!
OP yyc1 5 / 10 2  
allenhuanliu
Thank you very much for the help!
All students apply to universities in hopes of getting a high quality of education and, in the most simplified theory, to learn. The actual success of each individual depends not on the prestige held by the university which they attend, but rather on how they utilize the available resources and their compatibility with the environment.

You have a word count constraint. So, try to make use of each word you write. These lines sound a bit too general. Try to use every word to answer your prompt which is why you think BU is a good fit for you. Don't bother about saying what others consider when they apply. Tell them why you want to apply to BU.

As a student, I personally wish to spend my college experience fulfilling my desire to learn in a manner that best suits me.

Again this line does not deliver a more focused reason as to why you think BU suits you. Avoid such sentences and use every line to elaborate on why and what features of BU make you believe you are a good fit there.

Home / Undergraduate / Why is BU a good fit? community with a rich mix of individuals