"Graduation is something" - UW-Milwaukee Admission Personal Statement

tws1989 1 / -  
Topic: Tell us about your academic goals, circumstances that may have had an impact on your academic performance, and, in general, anything else you would like us to know in making an admission decision.

Statement:
Graduation is something that is virtually every high school student's goal, whether it's in 4 years or next month it's what we all work towards. Unfortunately it's a goal that some, including myself, have struggled with. Ultimately, I lost that struggle and did not graduate with the rest of my class in June of 2008.Though I was aware that my grades are a direct outcome of how hard I worked, not intelligence, I struggled every year despite testing well on standardized tests and the ACT. Since then I have taken the opportunity to open doors for myself that I felt I had closed in high school. I spoke with a counselor at Madison Area Technical College in the summer of 2009 and began studying for the GED test. She talked to me and showed me that with my work experience, and high scores on the first few tests, I may want to go for an HSED instead. Following that advice I earned my HSED in November of 2009. In the three years since missing my graduation, I have grown leaps and bounds. I have learned to be much more patient, apply myself, set attainable goals, and balance my workload, thing I wasn't able to do in high school. All of which I believe will set me up for success at UW-Milwaukee.
It's redundant here in the intro if you say "something"----> Graduation is something that is virtually every high school student's goal, whether it's in 4 years or next month it's what we all work towards.

Find a different way to say this: I have grown leaps and bounds. --A cliche is never good. Well, sometimes...

Excellent, this is solid! It really shows great intelligence and proficiency with grammar, etc.
You can make it even better if you show that you have become very passionate about some specific aspect of your chosen field... cite some articles, and show that you are now very motivated about a particular concept or kind of work that needs to be done. Show that you are now on a mission, and this will be even better than it already is.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Graduation is something" - UW-Milwaukee Admission Personal Statement