Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be an Artist. SCAD statement of purpose.

luisaj 1 / -  
Help me make it more appealing for SCAD please!

Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be an Artist. Being brought up in Venezuela, an incredibly beautiful yet extremely violent country, I noticed Art was always seen as something minor, a distraction from the constant fight against our corrupt government, a career people largely avoided because of our simple minded and money-led country.

I have wanted to study at SCAD since I found out it existed, and it seemed impossible with my country's crumbling economy, but when I visited the Savannah and Atlanta campuses I knew for sure I needed to try my best to get in. For all of my High School life I have been crafting and perfecting my portfolio with one thing in mind, getting into SCAD with the best possible scholarships so I can be surrounded by the love of Art my country lacks, and to do so without causing a chaos for my family back home.

My country doesn't offer a lot of choices for artists, which I think is a big mistake since art is virtually everywhere you look, it appeals to everyone and it seems to unite us as people, something very important in a functioning society. During High School, I participated in the little Art events that were available to me, student-prepared festivals celebrating Art in every way, something I've noticed the world is slowly forgetting.

I aspire to become a designer, in every sense of the word, because I live and breathe for the aesthetic, I think it's something that encompasses everything we see and is a necessary thing for people to be surrounded by Art and beauty, since they're key factors in a person's well-being. When I graduate, I want to come back to Venezuela and remind people of the importance of art, I want to make people remember the true meaning of happiness and fulfillment trough art, and hopefully opening up the business and giving opportunities to young artists who don't have the luck I do to even consider studying in such a great place.

I decided SCAD was the place for me because when I saw the students I felt immediately at home, even in a foreign country, surrounded by like-minded people that saw the opportunities and beauty of the world, I felt SCAD was a place to grow and shape myself up to be the best artist I can be, and to succeed in this competitive world doing the thing I love the most, Art.
khanifati 2 / 4 1  
...an incredibly beautiful yet extremely violent country , I noticed...
...the constant fight against our corrupt government , a career people...
...our simple minded and money-led country .

I don't think it is appropriate that you present yourself with these negative statement. Try to rearrange a good critics about your surrounding through art by proving that art can be the way to express or reflect or critic the environment, the society, and yourself.
Luisa, what you have written is a personal statement for your application. This is not a statement of purpose. The focus of your statement of purpose should show the early foundation of your interest in art. Specifically, the reason why you were drawn to art in the first place. Aside from the problems in your country and art being ignored, why do you feel a need to become an artist? By the way, you need to choose a specific major at the college to use as the basis of your essay. That counts towards representing your interest in art. Think of the kind of career you want to have in the future and how you see that career helping you in the future. Don't mention scholarships. That does not have a place in the statement of purpose. Maybe there are other application prompts where you will be given a chance to discuss that. Keep in mind, you need to have a solid career goal in mind after graduation. Think long and hard about that and develop your essay around your plans to achieve that. Make sure to indicate the classes that college offers which can help you slowly achieve your career goals. Since you already visited the campus, make sure to mention the experience and why it convinced you that SCAD is the only university that can help you with your future. Write a totally new essay. Don't try to revise the current one that you have.

Home / Undergraduate / Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be an Artist. SCAD statement of purpose.