'Hairspray songs' - a time in which you left your comfort zone

nerd4life 1 / 2  
Standing in the back of the auditorium, I gazed at the stage, the seats, and the director's table. Students were shuffling around and practicing their audition songs one last time. I signed my name on the tryout list and sat down, apprehensive about my decision to do something I had never done before. I was auditioning for the role of Motormouth Maybelle in the upcoming production of Hairspray. The competition for the role was fierce, decreasing my chances and increasing my fears. I had never been in a play before and had never sung anywhere outside of church. What possessed me to leap from amateur singer to potential performer?

Finally, 2:00 pm signaled the beginning of the audition. Student after student went on stage; almost every one sang their song flawlessly. I watched the director: her face nodded with approval after each hopeful. I can't recall a time in which I was more nervous. Literally shaking with fear, I walked up to the stage. Throughout the day, I had been thinking about this moment: the walk to the stage, the faces of the other students watching intently, and the impending 'whenever you're ready,' spoken by the director to indicate the beginning of the audition. As I walked to center stage, something ignited inside of me.

Words can't describe my newfound confidence, my sudden excitement, or my rush of adrenaline. It was as if the Thespian gods had suddenly taken hold of my body and granted me the confidence of Kristen Chenowith. I remembered the hours I spent practicing in my room staring into the mirror envisioning myself performing in front of the 922 seat auditorium. I wanted the role and I wanted it badly. I looked at the director, then at the student body, and took a deep breath. The only thing left to do was sing, and that's exactly what I did. I sang with power, and I sang with force, even snapping my fingers to add some charisma. I wanted the judges to envision me as Motoroumouth Maybelle as I was singing. I was actually enjoying myself as I sang! Believe it or not, I was sad when the song concluded. Once the audition was completed, my fellow competitors clapped and cheered with excitement. I loved every single second of it.

About a week later, the cast list was posted. From a distance, I could see a crowd of students huddled in front of the school doors. I walked slowly to the school entrance and glanced at the list: I, Niani Byrd, had received the role of Motormouth Maybelle! I was absolutely elated. I jumped around with my friends, sang a few Hairspray songs, and ran to tell my parents.

Hairspray sold out all three show nights. I can't imagine what would have happened if I would have walked away and not auditioned. I would have missed out on an experience that was the highlight of my high school career! I learned a valuable lesson the day the cast list was displayed: If we don't take chances, how will we know what we are capable of doing? Furthermore, how will we know what the future holds for us? I'm so glad I left my comfort zone and auditioned. Hairspray was truly an experience I will never forget.
thrill4rishabh 1 / 4  
This is actually very well written!

In the last line, lose the truly.

Please help me with mine.

Thanks

Home / Undergraduate / 'Hairspray songs' - a time in which you left your comfort zone