"What the Heck Theory" - Stanford Letter to Roommate Essay

annnyau 1 / -  
Any feedback/comments are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Dear Julie,

The last time I introduced myself in a letter was for Spanish on the first day of school to my teacher. It was about my work ethic. But I never mentioned the one theory I like to live by. Welcome to what I call, the "What The Heck Theory", which explains why "what the heck" decisions eventually lead to good outcomes.

It started when I decided to join a team called Spaceset. "What the heck," I thought "I'm too young to have regrets." Then it hit me. I signed up for Spaceset, a testosterone-heavy team that designs space colonies for imaginary people. Today, I provide feminine relief to the frequent Halo discussions.

"What The Heck" was my rule of thumb that stuck with me whenever I was on the fence. Rap began to permeate into my iTunes as strange as it seemed to my parents. Today, I can't do a music video project without having a cameo rap. It gives me pure excitement to rap anything from Hamlet's soliloquies to birthday wishes.

And to top it off, I recently chopped off 12 inches of my hair. My short hair represents who I am today - a new person, looking for new things to try. What can I do with short hair? Well, no ponytails or pigtails. Headbands fall off. "Bedhead" will need an updated definition after it is introduced to my hair. But it feels good to have a new look, for guys to say "Annie, your hair is different!" and for girls to say "My God Annie, I died when I cut four inches!"

I'm ready to tackle new obstacles whether it be trying out for a musical or meeting you for the first time. If I come back sweating profusely, I probably took up kickboxing. I'll try to keep the room free from burning popcorn (been there, done that). I may have the time of my life at college, or I may prefer the life I had before, but nothing will ever happen if I do not give it that initial push. Chances are, my "What the Heck Theory" will prove true again!

P.S. I couldn't have friended you on Facebook if it weren't for my theory! Glad to see you like Eminem! (See, it works!)
listix 4 / 11  
letter was for Spanish class on the first day

It started.. I am not sure if you should leave that it. If it is only a pronoun and is really taking the place of something else then it should be there. Otherwise you should specify what it is about.

"What The Heck" was my rule of thumb that stuck with me whenever I was on the fence . I am not so sure what you meant by the word fence. Maybe edge would be a better word?

Rap began to permeate into my iTunes playlists as strange as it seemed to my parents.

[...] (been there, done that). I may have the [...] These two sentences seem kinda disconnected to me. Maybe its just my imagination.

I hope I could help you a bit and I like "what the heck idea"

Home / Undergraduate / "What the Heck Theory" - Stanford Letter to Roommate Essay