help pick my essay topic (applying to art colleges)

autumnclouds67 2 / 8  
just a quick question that i could use some advice on. i'm applying to art colleges and each of them want applicants to use their own apps instead of the common app...which means i'm writing 8 different essays. so far i've written two, one about why i want to attend a school and the other is why i want to pursue my major. for the next 3-4 colleges though, they've given me a few prompts to select from. as of now, i've chosen their questions that similarly ask, "what was one major event in your life and why is it important to you/defines who you are now." it was between my trip to israel last summer and my precollege art program this summer (one would talk about me being adventurous and getting more in touch with my heritage, the other would of course explain how passionate and committed i am to art). in the end i decided on israel and sorta wrote an essay...it sucked and i deleted it...and now have no muse to write a fantastic essay...

so to make a long story short, i'm wondering what a college would prefer to read: a really powerful essay on how much a student wants to attend their school and what they'd do with their education, or a mediocre essay about an awesome month in israel.
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
a really powerful essay on how much a student wants to attend their school and what they'd do with their education, or a mediocre essay about an awesome month in israel.

Why are you unable to make both essays powerful? If this is really your situation, I would write about Israel. If they want you to write about how you hope to contribute to their school and your area of interest they would ask you.
OP autumnclouds67 2 / 8  
That's exactly what my reasoning has been, but for some reason I'm not able to make my Israel essay have that "punch" that colleges are looking for in their applicant's essays. I felt a lot stronger with the "punch" in the generic essays that i've already written for the two other colleges. I'm still committed to working on this essay and trying to make it the best that it can be...but in the end i'm not sure if I should submit this "more personal" essay even though i feel uneasy about it, or submit my "punch" essay that's generic, but is a lot stronger
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
Well it is hard for us to make the decision for you if we cannot see the essay. I'm sure that others on this site will try their hardest to give your essay its "punch" haha.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Show us what you've got so far for the Israel essay, and we'll see what we can do to help you punch it up.
OP autumnclouds67 2 / 8  
...it sucked and i deleted it...

lol. i'll be posting it then when i've written a new (and hopefully better) one.
benz 2 / 9  
hey, i thought your israle idea wasnt bad at all...you should keep writting and post it up before you deleted it because when you think is rubbish, others mite think differently or alternatively they can always make it better for colleges!!! so...keep working on it im sure it would be good!!!

PS. may i know what major you are applying for and for which colleges coz im applying for art colleges too!
OP autumnclouds67 2 / 8  
thanks :) i've started re-writing it and i sorta feel better about it now.

i'm hoping to major in animation (still haven't decided between computer or traditional). i'm applying to RISD, SCAD, CalArts, USC, RIT, MassArt, SVA and Pratt. i posted my Pratt statement on this site if you want to check it out. what colleges are you looking at and for what major?
benz 2 / 9  
hihi... you must be good at drawing cartoons then? =D anyway, im applying in major of architecture at RISD, Pratt, Columbia, Cornell, Parsons, and NJIT!!! do you think is too less of colleges???

do you have to do home exam on 3 drawings for RISD?? if yes, have you done them???

you applying for next year fall rite?? =D

good luck*
OP autumnclouds67 2 / 8  
haha yea i guess i'm ok with cartoons, still developing my style though x_x.
nah that's a good amount of colleges, i've been told that 6-8 colleges is just fine. you'll have to tell me if you get into RISD or Pratt! haha we might see each other if we both attend one of those schools!

yeah, everyone has to do the home exam and my answer is ooooooh dear lord no. i plan on starting the bike soon...

yup, applying for fall 2010. good luck to you too :)

Home / Undergraduate / help pick my essay topic (applying to art colleges)