'holding the title of alchemist, troubadour or even a shaman' - SAIC Artist Statement

CrackityJones 1 / 1  
Prompt: In the statement of purpose, you should discuss your interests, creative influences, educational goals, and anything else that is important for us to know regarding your interest in art, design, and visual culture.

If I had lived in the past, I would have probably considered holding the title of alchemist, troubadour or even a shaman, but my main natural impulse would have been a job in the visual arts.

(I need a transition between these two sentences. Any suggestions)

A fresh palette full of oil colors and the scent of turpentine mean more to me than just a hobby. From as far back as I can remember I have wanted to land a job in the visual arts. Throughout my years of taking art classes, I have been able to advance my artistic abilities, create works that are more personal and express ideas that percolate my imagination through art. Although I like experimenting with different kinds of art styles, I find myself in the bizarre world of surrealism repeatedly.

I have found the stimulating and timeless technique of automatism to generate me with myriad possibilities. The surrealists practiced it in the heyday of the surrealist movement. This artistic movement spread around the globe and influenced social and philosophical theories. Members of this movement included Max Ernst, Joan Miro, Andre Masson, Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte and the leader Andre Breton. My concentration focuses on making simple forms with a continuous and free line without afterthought. Consciously utilizing both traditional and innovative techniques, my unconscious becomes the definite driving force. In time, shapes will be found to evolve, suggesting compositions, forms and ultimately having an individual style. Out of this confused mass of objects, the mind will be endowed with abundance of designs and subjects, perfectly new. The subject matter ranges from wild animals, a forest of tall trees or figures dancing. Through this process, my imagination provides many opportunities for even an unexpected accident to turn into a great idea. This technique is not powered entirely by the unconscious mind, but also the conscious is needed to intervene. Andre Masson, a pioneer of this process admitted that his 'automatic' imagery involved a two-fold process of unconscious and conscious activity. The interaction of imagery, symbolism and a dreamlike state combine to create images only a subconscious mind can make.

My proficiency and fascination in art relates to my professional aspirations by giving me insight into the art world and preparing me with the essentials to study art at a higher level. I expect my education at this college to help me attain my goals by giving me the experience I need for the job I truly want.
OP CrackityJones 1 / 1  
Thank you for your feedback. It was very helpful.
I think it might be good to split that long first paragraph into two.

At the end, I think you should be more specific as you talk about your professional goals. How exactly is art related to your professional goals? You write beautifully, and your interests are... interesting! You must be a deep thinking person, but I guess all art students are.

Lets add dimension to this, though, by incorporating more ideas about your professional future... (add it in the second half... I don't want you to mess with the first half, because it is great.)

That is just my idea... not necessarily a good idea. :-)
skriho - / 1  
MAKING A STATEMENT- Requesting Feedback on SAIC Statement of Purpose

This is supposed to be 500 words for SAIC? It doesn't specify on the website. What is my limit? I tend to write too much...
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
I didn't understand your question. Do you want to know what is the approximate word limit of an SOP for SAIC?

Well, usually SOPs tend to be around 1-2 pages in length, or 500 - 1000 words.

In my opinion, you should contact the school before you take anyone's advice. If you search their website properly, you'll probably find the contact details of the admissions coordinators or others in similar positions. Call or email them, and specifically ask these things.
contact the school before you take anyone's advice.

Yep, this is the only advice I know how to give, too. It depends on the school. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / 'holding the title of alchemist, troubadour or even a shaman' - SAIC Artist Statement