"Imagine" by John Lennon; UC Promt 1- Morality Class

satyr5 3 / 2  
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations. *

One day in my morality class in Seoul, my teacher Jung Yongmin entered the classroom in his typical hippie clothing: ragged sandals, faded pants, and a T-shirt stretched out at the neck. Although he was known for his eccentric personality and style, the way he dressed actually made him look like a man of simplicity and peace. That day, he carried an old and unshapely audiocassette player and once the classroom grew quiet, he asked if anybody had listened to the song "Imagine" by John Lennon. I remained silent, because I had not. However, within an hour, that song taught me a totally new philosophy that has since shaped my views on problems around the world.

This was in 2003, when the U.S. troops had just invaded Iraq. Mr. Jung began the class by showing us a slideshow of the atrocities suffered by the Iraqi civilians. I was horrified- and yet it still seemed so far away. After showing us the pictures, Mr. Jung placed the audiocassette player on the table in the middle of the classroom and pressed the play button. As the song "Imagine" came through the speakers, he started to sing along and dance around the classroom, gesticulating like an R&B singer and moving his body with the peaceful melody of the song. The slide show projected the translated lyrics so I was able to read along with the song, and the meaning of each line combined with the melody, moved me profoundly; "Imagine" became the first song I memorized in English.

When the song was over, Mr. Jung said that if everybody were like John Lennon, the world would be a much easier place to live. He said that if people could free themselves from greed and possessions, everyone would be content, just like the song said, "Imagine no possessions... no need for greed or hunger... sharing all the world." I agreed. Every line in the song seemed to be the solution to all the problems in the world. And then, I realized how ignorant I had been only ten minutes before; how ignorant I was to not feel the need to pacify the world when I saw pictures of dying people.

For several months after that day, Mr. Jung played "Imagine" every morning as we entered his class. The song stayed in my head, along with the sense that the world currently lacks peace and happiness. I came to believe that people were absolutely capable of "living life in peace" and that "it isn't hard to do". Since that day, I have become a "dreamer" who believes the "world will live as one" if we can stop being selfish and look around and care a little more. Since that day, whenever I encounter a fight or news about conflicts around the world, the lyrics come into my head: "imagine all the people, living life in peace", and the lyrics determine my actions. Mr. Jung's unconventional teaching method in Seoul taught me more than any textbook or lecture possibly could have.

Any suggestions HIGHLY appreciated :) ;)
This is a powerful essay! As soeone who grew up hearing Imagine and other important Beatles music, it intrigues me to think of someone growing up in Korea and hearing it translated into English as part of a morality class.

I found no mistakes, but I would like to change the beginning:

In 2003, when the U.S. troops had just invaded Iraq, I was taking a Morality class in Seoul, Korea. My teacher, Jung Yongmin, entered one day in his typical hippie clothing: ragged sandals, faded pants, and a T-shirt stretched out at the neck. Although he was known for his eccentric personality and style, the way he dressed actually made him look like a man of simplicity and peace. That day, he carried an old and unshapely audiocassette player and once the classroom grew quiet, he asked if anybody had listened to the song "Imagine" by John Lennon. I remained silent, because I had not. However, within an hour, that song taught me a totally new philosophy that has since shaped my views on problems around the world.

Mr. Jung began the class by showing us a slideshow of the atrocities suffered by the Iraqi civilians. I was horrified- and yet it still seemed so far away. After showing us the pictures, Mr. Jung placed the audiocassette player on the table in the middle of the classroom and pressed the play button. As the song "Imagine" came through the speakers, he started to sing along and dance around the classroom, gesticulating like an R&B singer and moving his body with the peaceful melody of the song. The slide show projected the translated lyrics so I was able to read along with the song, and the meaning of each line combined with the melody, moved me profoundly; "Imagine" became the first song I memorized in English.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Kevin

Home / Undergraduate / "Imagine" by John Lennon; UC Promt 1- Morality Class