Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'the incredible environment around me' - UCF application

gettysberg 1 / 1  
If there has been some obstacle or "bump in the road," in your academic or personal life, please explain the circumstances.
How has your family history, culture or environment influenced who you are?

I, I can proudly say, was diagnosed with ADHD from birth. As a boy, it posed no great threat or concern to me, and I began to see it almost as something completely normal. When I began to interact on a deeper level with more and more students, however, I decided that I'd hide away this secret, as if my disorder was some sort of debilitating disfigurement that no one could ever realize I had. More and more I was bothered by my diagnosis, to the point where I nearly stopped taking any medication altogether. Hearing the common misconceptions about ADD spew from my fellow classmates mouths, some of them close friends, greatly pained me. Their uneducated and irrational thoughts that someone with ADHD was incapable of existing within the social norms, however, served only to drive me to work harder to prove them wrong. Though blessed with intelligence, I still feel as though my ADHD holds me back, to a certain extent. I know I've had to work vastly harder than the average student to get where I am, however, which always fills me with a wonderful sense of pride. I am able to outperform students with no disabilities, through sheer force of will and exertion of energy towards one simple goal: my success. On my graduation day, however, I plan on enlightening my best of friends with the knowledge of my diagnoses, much to my enjoyment, I imagine; surely then their opinions will be forever changed for the better.

In the discussion of nature versus nurture, it's clear that both parts play clear, yet distinct roles in our development. For me, however, my environment has influenced me in a way greater than I would ever have expected before. Having parents that are both psychologists is an intimidating fact; though not quite so for me. I've grown used to their psychological banter, and have actually learned most of what I know because of it. Being the master of seemingly random bits of information at an early age was always a source of pride for me in my childhood. Along with my family themselves, I've come to associate with extremely successful, and intelligent individuals. I believe it's their sense of confidence that draws me to them, as I've quickly become accustomed to competing with my closest friends academically. It may sound strange, but we're truly heartless when it comes to grades and test scores, as if we were competing head-to-head in a sport, or even a video game. This sense of competition has always kept me on edge, my wits sharpened, and grades stellar. Participating in the gifted program early on in my life, from the first grade, has instilled a sense of normalcy when it comes to advanced courses and work. I actually feel more stressed and awkward in a normal class as opposed to an advanced course. Naturally, this has led me to take a large amount of AP and honors courses, which I truly think are horribly exaggerated by other students for their difficulty. As always, my close friends and I have excelled at these courses, adapting quickly to the heavy workload and sophisticated style of teaching. Without the incredible environment around me, I have no doubt that I would be not half the person I am today.

It's rough, i know, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! I would really like to submit it very soon! thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / 'the incredible environment around me' - UCF application