"interest in math" - Describe the world you come from

xxxiecong 2 / 5  
As a child, I had already developed a keen interest in math and maintained high academic standards as a student. My family had been a considerable supporter all the time. My family is only composed of three members: my dad, my mom and me. Such small family provides us a closer relation and a more intimate ambiance. We played card games which were related to the mental arithmetic and discussed some intriguing math problems at our spare time. My parents brought up my interest on the math. When I was studying at a prodigious high school in my city in China, I have a great opportunity to come to America as an exchange student.

Surprising me, my experience in a U.S high school actually reinforces my mind to study math in the college. Math class has always been fun to me.

I enjoyed sharing my own perspective of solving math problems and always help other students with their math. I became even famous in the school as a math assistor. As a member of school math team, I participated in all kinds of math competitions. Experiences like that built my confidence and raised my enjoyment at studying math.

Furthermore, I realized math was not an abstract subject and it could be used in every aspect of our daily life. I lived with an American family who managed 5,000 acres of orchards. I realized the application of math in the agriculture area. When I asked the process to operate such a big orchards, my host dad explained to me: "There are a total of 105 controlled atmosphere rooms for the storage capacity of 270,000 bins. To keep over 5 million boxes of apple fresh, the control system lets the temperature of each room vary within .1%." What is the key factor behind the miracle of modern agriculture? Technologies and equipment are certainly necessary, but the system's soul is operation data processes based on different arithmetic models. I realized that math not only gives us insightful and logical thinking, but it can also change the face of the modern world. Math is the base of every professional study. Therefore, I look forward to studying math in the college and apply it in the different areas such as engineering, economic and management. To me, math is more than a subject. It is a tool to make our life better.
Jeannie 10 / 214  
I loved your essay in general! There are, of course, some grammatical problems that I will be back later to try to help you with. Good job so far!

Blue skies!

Jeannie
OP xxxiecong 2 / 5  
thanks a lot, this is the first thing i checked when i wake up lol . it does surprise me that i made a bunch of mistakes. did you mean that the first paragraph should end at " Math class has always been fun to me." thank you again
Jeannie 10 / 214  
Me too! I just woke up (I'm a night owl). Yes, I meant for you to end the paragraph there because it is also a good tie-in for the next paragraph. Besides, that is where you ended it anyway...

Mistakes don't always show up when we read our own writing, that's what is so great about this site. I would be lost without someone else to read over my papers. So far, my dog is just being stubborn in her refusal to help me, but I am working on her...

I will be back after work to read/edit some more.

Truth be told, Xie, I picked your essay because you already did the hard work. :) Your writing is better than most, and English isn't even your primary language! How cool is that! I hope you will stick around and help some of us with our papers.

Blue skies!

Jeannie
...areas such as engineering, economics, and management. To me, math is more than a subject. It is a tool to make our lives better.

I see that Jeannie did a great, thorough job of editing.

You can sharpen the focus and meaning of this essay if you specify a favorite field in which you would like to use math: engineering, maybe? At the end, name a few career ideas that you have!

:-)
Jeannie 10 / 214  
I just spent a bazillion years editing this, xie, and when I went to post the completed edit, I was denied access! Arrrgh! I will try again tomorrow, sorry.

Jeannie

Home / Undergraduate / "interest in math" - Describe the world you come from