My interests are primarily in Atmosphere; letter of motivation

nnandi 1 / -  
how is my letter of motivation?

I am applying for the Phd programme by XXXX because I match the various requirements in this area.My interests are primarily in Atmosphere in the earth system .I have good mathematical and programming skills. I have also been a bit concerned about environment since school days when I presented seminar on Environmental issues.

I have a Masters in Science and Technology in Applied Geophysics from Indian School of Mines,Dhanbad. My Masters' thesis was on "Study on seismicity in IndoAustralian plate".We had fieldwork on geology and geophysics where we had to use electrical, electromagnetic, seismic methods to probe subsurface. I was particularly interested in structural and physical geology,properties of glaciers.

After this I have done coursework in MSc Physics from IMSc Chennai. I have done sound coursework in Mathematical physics. Fluid mechanics attracts my attention so does granular materials. My presentation topic in Classical Field Theory was "Splashing of water droplets on dry surface" (splashing as a function of air pressure). Vortices and hydrodynamic waves attract my attention a good deal. I also have done work on Matlab, Mathematica , C++ for solving certain quantumemchanical problems. For my MSc Physics thesis I had written a code to solve an equation in 5 variables and minimise a nonanalytical function on the hypersurface in 4 dimensions.I have seen my computational interest peak from that time.I want to do interdisciplinary work and collaborate with motivated people .In cloud convection I am interested in the microphysical processes and convection,large eddy simulations.In climate modelling I am interested in ICON.I can use my interest in fluid dynamics in turbulence.Since Chennai is in South India and local language Tamil was unknown to me ,for 2 years I am conversing only in English.

I like ambience of the city of Hamburg .It is an advantage if the city where I live is culturally rich.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  

Do not say I have this I have that. You should introduce yourself and your abilities more fluently. Try to explain your strong point by giving some evidence and explaining your academic and professional experiences. You should convince the reader that you have got these capabilities.

I have got a Masterdegree, majoringin Science and Technology in Applied Geophysics, from Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad. My Masters' thesis, entitled "was on "Study on seismicity in IndoAustralian plate", focused on.We had fieldwork on geology and geophysics where we had to use electrical, electromagnetic, seismic methods to probe subsurface. The most attractive part of my studyI was particularly interested in structural and physical geology,properties of glaciers. (why was it interesting for you?)

it is not enough to just list your experiences. You need to mention what you could learn through the experiences. Talk about your interests and say why you are interested in this field of study

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Ahmad

Home / Undergraduate / My interests are primarily in Atmosphere; letter of motivation