'Intern at Equality California' - Columbia supplement -- Meaningful cultural event

firefox94 2 / 2  
Please tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events (1500 characters).

For the past 4 summers, I have attended the San Francisco Pride Festival, a celebration of LGBTQ people and their allies. Until last year, I had viewed it as a fun, mostly social event. This past summer, I worked as an Intern at Equality California (an LGBTQ rights organization). One of my first experiences as a part of the organization was working at Pride. Instead of dancing and eating during the gathering, I canvassed. We were raising money to support the FAIR education act, which mandated the addition of LGBTQ history in all public school social science textbooks. I was really happy about the bill, to say the least. Initially, I was afraid of being ignored, or not taken seriously when I asked for donations, but as the day progressed, I realized how much love and support there was at Pride. People of all ages stopped and talked to me about the bill, and many people who could not donate asked about how they could get involved with Equality California. It was powerful to be around thousands of people who supported LGBTQ rights. From the engagement of the attendees, I was filled with excitement that there were so many people who truly cared about the LGBTQ rights movement. It was amazing to see how much a movement beginning at the Stonewall Inn evolved into a potent force of LGBTQ people and allies, with many representing their beliefs not only to San Francisco, but the world at Pride.

Can you all give me you opinions? I don't know if I really clearly (or appealingly) explain why I think pride is meaningful. Please help!
zmj7706 3 / 9  
from what I read, do you want to say that the pride is meaningful because the movement "evolved into a potent force of LGBTQ people and allies, with many representing their beliefs not only to San Francisco, but the world at Pride"? I feel that you described a lot about fund raising you involved during the event,and this experience makes you realize that the pride is more than a social event. Maybe you can save some words of describing the event and talk a little bit more on how this event represent LGBTQ people's beliefs. I hope it would help. Good luck!!
BillyIon 3 / 5  
I like it, but you need to relate it to YOU more. Sure it was amazing and stuff, but WHY was it so meaningful to YOU.

Maybe you should mention somethings like "LGBTQ is portrayed in a very demeaning way in pop culture and the media, but seeing so many people supporting the same principals was amazing."

Home / Undergraduate / 'Intern at Equality California' - Columbia supplement -- Meaningful cultural event