Otherside by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis -Columbia essay cultural event you found meaningful

mclark13 8 / 7 5  
I'm dying. That's the only way to describe it. The way my heart pounds as loud as the bass shaking the floor. I scream as loudly as I can, which at this point isn't very loud. My raspy cry is lost in the sea of sound that caresses me with every beat. My body aches from the pressure of a thousand bodies, pushing on me from all sides. We all forget our differences and any prejudices we may have had. We lose the idea that we are strangers in the chaos of this lucid dream and with every drop of sweat, we melt into one soul.

The first time I heard "Otherside," by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, was the first time I actually began to understand my father's addiction to Methamphetamine. The song outlines a tragic addiction to codeine cough syrup that ends in an overdose. It was followed up on the duo's first studio album with the song "Starting Over," which told the tale of Ben Haggerty's own relapse after three years of sobriety. Hearing about addiction from someone who experienced it firsthand helped me to realize and accept what my dad had gone through. But now I no longer had to face the pain alone. I could let it all go, erase the scars, and start over.

Watching Macklemore ascend the stage for the last time, we greet him with a torrent of emotion and passion. His voice echoes through the room, filling us with ecstasy. The music is our narcotic, and we can't get enough.
spark 2 / 3 3  
I think blazerd123 pointed out all the grammar mistakes.

I could let it all go, erase the scars, and start over. This was very broad and generalized. Clearly you felt pain and angst from this difficulty so maybe express this more.

you should also elaborate more in your conclusion about your dad rather than just ending it with the concert. Maybe end on your relationship with your dad or how you feel now. If macklemore is meaningful to you, then show how it changed you.

You write so eloquently. I loved reading this essay.
OccamsRazor - / 6 5  
The first time I heard "Otherside," by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

might wanna add the word 'live' after that for clearer understanding

Home / Undergraduate / Otherside by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis -Columbia essay cultural event you found meaningful