Home / Undergraduate % width   Posts: 2

Journey with food - personal essay

smerab2207 1 / -  
1 day ago   #1
The smell hit my nostrils with intoxicating intensity- the lamb meatballs' warm spices colliding with the earthy fragrance of the sumac and mint. As I open my eyes, I face a table adorned with colorful mezes, laid out like puzzle pieces painted with the flavors of Turkey. Without hesitation I took my first bite and was hit by a feeling of warmth and comfort- one that just a year ago, was a completely foreign sensation.
Growing up, I was aware of my distaste for food, but I was oblivious to how it affected my ability to gain new experiences and my social life. Being a picky eater, even just simplistic field day foods like hot dogs and BLTs was difficult, my mind forbade me from even getting in a bite. Going to my friend's house transformed from a fun activity into one that clouded my head with nerves, the fear that they would get offended at my refusal to eat what they provided. I was closed off and would avoid any hangout that involved going to a restaurant, and these thoughts piercing through my mind made it hard for me to form a strong relationship.
These feelings strung their way through all aspects of my life. Being part of a spontaneous family meant we traveled a lot, to Japan, Italy, Greece, Portugal, and my home country India. Though it may seem minimal, food lies at the center of all these cultures, carrying history and tradition. Not being able to consume these foods caused great struggle for me, because no matter how badly I wanted to try all these infamous staple foods, I stuck to what felt safe and missed out on beautiful experiences.
I finally made headway in solving this problem this summer, when I participated in the advanced medical and public health internship at Georgetown University. Attending classes taught by doctors from Nigeria, I learned about the condition of nutritional anemia in the context of global health, deepening my understanding of the broader implications of food choices and access to proper nutrition, and how this condition disproportionately affects those in poorer living conditions. This made something "click" in my head. It sparked a new perspective on my own relationship with food, helping me realize that being more open to diverse and nutritious foods isn't just about broadening your palate but also about fostering a deeper appreciation for the health benefits they provide.
I knew I had to make a change and do something to help my body get better. Acceptance was the first step to growth. Rather than hiding and avoiding the problem, I had to embrace the challenge and made it into something that I could use to help myself and educate others on. I decided to take on the event of healthy living in HOSA, an event which required open mindedness , and I set a goal to incorporate more greens, proteins, B12, and a variety of different flavors into my diet, while also timing myself to make sure I pace my eating. This one change in my lifestyle had such a ripple effect on the rest of my habits. It allowed me to apply the same thinking to my everyday life and I began viewing scenarios in my life with an open mindset. I learnt how to cook meals from different cultures while tailoring them specifically for me, gaining a sense of independence. I broke down my prior mental barriers and hosted my first ever potluck with my friends, where I explored a new experience and expanded my food horizon.
My journey with food has become a metaphor for personal growth, helping me become my current best self, and I plan on continuing this growth throughout my lifetime. From traveling the world and magnifying my cultural palette, to even the sheer consumption of food within college dining halls, I can fully immerse myself in either, without the fear of dietary restrictions clouding my thoughts....... cultural ties, a sense of confidence in myself, gaining more opportunities for personal growth, and most of all made my life much more enjoyable.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15282  
1 day ago   #2
I would open the essay with a story about how my distaste for food negatively affected my health. Discuss any mental, emotional, and physical problems that being a picky resulted in. Try to share your international food experiences and how the problem of food often led to your missing out on things related to culinary adventures that left you out of family bonding time. Doing that would show the basis of your desire to change your food eating habits and why you made it a priority for yourself specially after hearing about Nigeria. Since this is a metaphor for your personal growth, you should highlight the situation that led to you deciding to be adventurous when it came to food experimentation. That would probably help enliven an otherwise long, but almost boring essay. Try to do all of these within 500 words if the maximum word count is 700 - 750.

Home / Undergraduate / Journey with food - personal essay
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: