"a large and intimate research institution" - the most appealing about Columbia

bnguyen29 1 / 4  
I am applying for transfer to Columbia University. I do not know how I should approach the prompt. Should I write it as in a personal statement or as in a straightforward essay explaining the specifics of Columbia? Thank you very much.

"Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why" (250 words)

Columbia attracts me because the university is a large research institution, yet still maintains the intimacy of an undergraduate liberal arts environment. Since the student-faculty ratio is 6:1 and nearly eighty percent of classes offered to undergraduates have fewer than 20 students, Columbia promotes close relationship between students and faculty, allowing undergraduates to reap the benefits of intellectual mentorship.

The diversity being offered at Columbia matches my expectations of an undergraduate experience. Columbia is not only diverse in demographics, as evident in the second largest international student body in the United States, but also in thoughts. The different ideas coming from an internationally conscious student body stimulate constant exchanges among motivated and brilliant Columbians and create an environment conducive to learning.

The Columbia Political Science Department, which is notably strong in International Politics and Political Theory, provides the resources for me to pursue interests in how ancient and contemporary political thoughts shape China's foreign policy in East Asia from many perspectives. The Weatherhead East Asian Institute, which houses the renowned The C.V. Starr East Asian Library, dedicates exclusively to the study of modern Asia and sponsors programs that feature notable academia such as Andrew Nathan. I also get to hear policy-makers to speak about politics in practice through the annual World Leaders Forum. On top of that, the Columbia East Asia Review serves as an outlet for undergraduates to write and learn from each other. There is truly no better college than Columbia for me. For these reasons, I would be honored to join the Columbia community.
Hi,
You write well. I have a few suggestions for you;

Columbia attracts me because thethis university is a large research institution, yetstillwhich also maintains the intimacy of an undergraduate liberal arts environment.

Since the student-faculty ratio is 6:1 and nearly eighty percent of classes offered to undergraduates have fewer than 20 students, Columbia promotes close relationship between students and faculty, allowing undergraduates to reap the benefits of intellectual mentorship.------------This is a very good sentence which ellaborates your interest in finding more about the institution that you are going to study.

The diversity being offered at Columbia matchessuites my expectations of anon undergraduate experience.

Columbia is not only diverse in demographics, as evident in the second largest international student body in the United States, but also in thoughtsviews and ideas .

I alsoThe annual World Leaders Forum would give me the opportunityget to hear policy-makers to speaking about politics in practice through the annual World Leaders Forum .

Good luck with your application!!
OP bnguyen29 1 / 4  
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Do you think I should keep my writing the way it is or should make it something creative like a personal statement?

Also, I am writing the "Why transfer" essay for CommonApp. How specific should I be with the CommonApp essay without being redundant?
Your answer is very direct and clear. So, I dont see anything wrong with your style. However you may add a little bit of personal touch at the beginning to impress the reader. Personally, I believe what is more important are your reasons to the answer than glamour you add to your essay because your case will be evaluated on those points. Also when you have a limitation on word count you cannot waste words. So, I feel your style is fine.

Home / Undergraduate / "a large and intimate research institution" - the most appealing about Columbia