Why leave Tsinghua University and go to UVA?

eminemya 8 / -  
Thanks again, again, again and again:)

I have been considered "successful" all through my academic life because of my excellent performance in scholastic tests and extracurricular activities. And now, I'm expected to continue to excel in Tsinghua University and to study abroad after graduation.

But one day, I suddenly realized that I had strived to become "perfect" only to meet the social expectation. Intoxicated in other's praise, I had been simulating others for all my life. Suspicion ensued and deeply, I asked myself whether to continue to follow the "well-designed" road or not.

My aim is to influence the world to make a better society. Under the trend of globalization, I need to widen my view to build my value system critical and open. My uncle Jesse, who graduated from MIT after Chinese college, has deep personal understanding about it. He warns me that most of us may form our own criteria after college and consequently will have greater difficulties to adapt to a new culture. Though I joined the international student group ASEIC in campus, it was not enough for me. Thus US college education is vital to me to become in harmony over the great chasm.

Also, I felt myself confined by the traditional Chinese education which leaves little space for independent study. I was often told to do this after finishing that and the pressure of compulsory work often kept me in a certain academic enclosure. As my Native American professor described, counselors here still carefully fed the knowledge to the "babies in the cradles". Many of my senior alumni doing research in US told me that though they had better understanding of the knowledge, they found themselves far behind foreign students who had grown up in an education system which encourages critical thinking and multiplicity.

Moreover, I believe the new challenges in a totally different place would excite my nerve and contribute to my growth of personality. My similar experience may help me adapt to the new environment quickly.

Uva's definition for liberal art stirs my imagination and I'm really tempted by the independence provided after thirteen years' living under the constant guidance. My pent up creative energy can't wait any more to find an outlet in the world of diversity and change.

Above are the main reasons that lead me to leave Tsinghua University and to pursue my dream in Uva.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Here are some editing tips for your excellent essay!

I need to widen my view to build my value system to be critical and open. My uncle Jesse, who graduated from MIT after college in China,

greater difficulties adapting to a new culture. Though I joined the international student group ASEIC on campus

Thus. a U.S. college education is vital to me to become in harmony over the great chasm.

Great job!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Why leave Tsinghua University and go to UVA?