Like a good book, New York University keeps getting better every time I read (well, research) it.

yoshimax 2 / 4  
NYU is global, urban, inspired, smart, connected, and bold. What can NYU offer you, and what can you offer NYU? (200-400 words)

At first, I liked NYU because it is, to use the words of its founder, more "in and of the city" than other New York City colleges. This suits me, as I'm looking into subjects like political science and journalism so I hope to supplement my classroom lessons with hands-on experiences in the city. For example, major protests broke out in the streets of NYC recently, shutting down Times Square. This is interesting from a journalistic and political perspective.

I later visited NYU, and my tour guide told me about a school I hadn't yet heard of--the Gallatin School of Individualized Study. This was a godsend to me, as I had been panicking over choosing only one of my many interests to study. At Gallatin, I can combine my interests into a customized major, such as political journalism.

After the tour, I researched NYU extensively online. While doing this, I stumbled upon exploration floors, one of my favorite aspects of NYU. These floors, which I haven't seen at any other school, will alleviate the stress of worrying about who my roommate will be because I know she'll be awesome. I can live on a floor with other geeks and potentially go to Comic-Con or room with comedy fans and attend a taping of The Daily Show. Either one sounds like a great option to me.

I can offer NYU the unique perspective of a determined, quirky individual. When I care about something, I'll accept no less than my best on it. I'm passionate about school, for example, and I've turned in all of my homework assignments on time throughout middle and high school. (I'd say that the same goes for elementary school, but third grade was a rough year. I had to move to a new hallway, which logically resulted in me losing the majority of my homework.)

I also hope to bring knowledge to NYU that other students won't have. For example, I am already experienced in professional journalism. I was selected for a governor's page program that will take place in February, so I will bring political knowledge. I have some experience with creative writing, my third interest, as well--I have been published in a creative writing anthology.

I believe that NYU is the best school for me, so I hope I'll be a member of the Class of 2019.
nyusupp97 1 / 2  

I think that in the first paragraph here, you should change the section about your future roommate. They want to know about what NYU can offer you as a serious institution, rather than another school in the city that can enable you to get to comic con or have a room mate. In the second paragraph you should reconsider the section about homework. If you do it all, it will be shown through your grades, so it seems a little unnecessary. Good luck!
OP yoshimax 2 / 4  
I switched the homework section last minute, so I'll change it back.

This is what I previously had: I can offer NYU the unique perspective of a quirky and strong-willed individual. I'm unashamed to admit that I watch everything from Spongebob to Game of Thrones. I also love being creative. I make Christmas presents for my parents each year, and I recently made them a calendar that starts in August (when I leave for college) and contains strange quotes and pictures of me. Not an ordinary gift, but it's certainly memorable.

Is that any better?

Home / Undergraduate / Like a good book, New York University keeps getting better every time I read (well, research) it.