Living in a cramped house- Commonapp Prompt 1

JMR112 1 / -  
Cramped In a Small House
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.- Justin Reich- Commapp Essay Prompt #1

Before the toughest part of my High School years, I had to constantly move from place to place in Simi Valley. Sweat constantly dripped down my face as the scorching sun aimed for me. It had seemed that I had to always move furniture down some stairs when it was over 105 degrees. From eighth grade to 11th grade, I had to move five times. Due to my grandpa's death and my family not being able to support ourselves, we had to move in with my aunt and uncle. I was squished on the floor of a really small bedroom of a small house of eight people. After which, we moved in with a friend in a large home for a year. Then, we moved in with another friend, where the living situation was much better. The torture only came in after those eight months were over. My family was back to my aunt and uncle's house. I had kept thinking to myself, "Why do I have to suffer through this torture?"

I moved from spot to spot trying to find a spot to do my homework. The lights were always turned out on me, I was not allowed to do homework in the living room, and I had to do it in the corner of the kitchen where the cat ate. Fortunately, I did not have to sleep in a small bedroom this time. I had the privilege of sleeping on the hardwood floor in the living room every night for a year.

When I first moved there, I did not want to work hard. I looked at everything negatively and thought that I would just give up. Because I was slacking and did not want to put any effort into anything, I would emotionally drain myself. I always felt depressed because of my hard living circumstances.

After seeing my poor grades and feeling depressed, I tried to work harder. I had decided that I would want to go to college and to continue with my education, which would only be harder. After seeing my grades go up and improve a lot, I had seen that no circumstance would stop me. Even during the hardest times, I had seen that I can strive and dedicate my time to succeeding.

After the second move into my aunt and uncle's house, I had seen change in myself. I had been shaped into a hardworking, dedicated student. College is only going to be very difficult work. You can't procrastinate, and you can't let yourself down. No matter what circumstance, you should try to work as hard as possible. I have seen myself as prepared for college, because I can work hard under any stress.
emilyc28 5 / 33  
I was squished on the floor of a really small bedroom of a small house of eight people.

With eight people.

Home / Undergraduate / Living in a cramped house- Commonapp Prompt 1