"my love of learning and compassion for others" - fsu vires artes mores essay

dtkgray 1 / 2  
For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

It is an impressive feat that vires, artes, and mores have been the guiding philosophy behind one institution for almost 100 years. While every decision in my life hasn't been the best, my mores, my character, always led me in the right direction. I am proud to say that my compassion and my love of learning have guided me throughout the place I am today.

My love of helping others is an innate aspect of my character that has been apparent to those who have known me since childhood. I have always loved animals; in the 3rd grade I organized a fundraiser for the North Pinellas Humane Society at my elementary school. Then the following year, I organized a drive to raise supplies for a local homeless shelter. Now, I volunteer weekly at the Hospice to help improve the lives of their patients. I have always been the friend that is always there when something goes wrong; I was always available to help in any way possible.

My insatiable appetite for learning is a part of my mores that has always been distinct throughout my life. I constantly had my face buried in a book. At meals my mother would have to pry the book from my grip so I would stop reading. I would take a book everywhere with me, even out to restaurants. At night, I would try to hide under the covers with a book light so my mom wouldn't think I was still reading. I have consistently strived for more knowledge. I took Advanced Placement classes because I wanted to learn more than just the minimum. I have always felt there is more to learn.

Over the course of my life, I have learned that my character guides me during the most important times of my life. In learning who I am, I have learned that I love to help. My volunteer work at the Hospice has inspired me to become a nurse. I have been told that I have the ability to put people at ease and I hope to use this skill to help me in the future. I want to bring my love of learning and compassion for others to Florida State University. I will embrace and expand my mores at Florida State University. This is the next step in my journey.
It is an impressive feat that vires, artes, and mores have been the guiding philosophy behind one institution for almost 100 years.

Irrelevant statement to open. Not a good sign.

While every decision in my life hasn't been the best, my mores, my character, always led me in the right direction.

At least you move right into saying which value you plan to talk about, and you keep the definition mercifully brief. Still, you are telling, not showing, and so the statement isn't very gripping.

I am proud to say that my compassion and my love of learning have guided me throughout the place I am today.

Decent topic, but again, the delivery is a bit flat because of the telling thing, as above.

The rest of the essay isn't too bad. You have some specific examples and you stay on topic. Better yet, you don't take up too much time saying what you have to say. A couple of expanded narrative anecdotes might be in order though, to add a bit of depth to what you already have.
OP dtkgray 1 / 2  
Thanks for the input. It was very helpful.
menamilad /  
Good job :D
EF_Stephen - / 264  
I found the same flatness EF Sean did.

I might take a chance and tell everything from a personal perspective and never even mention the word 'mores.' A perceptive reader will get it anyway, and that's better writing if you can convince someone without telling them what they are to notice. It's just like your life. You'd never mention the word 'character' in connection with yourself, but people would know about your strong character by your actions.
NailahMJ 1 / 4  
defining vires, arts, or mores is unnecessary. Also, you should input more detail into your essay, it seems kind of brief.

Home / Undergraduate / "my love of learning and compassion for others" - fsu vires artes mores essay