'I love Rochester, but I need a change' - Boston University Supplement

mpatel246 3 / 5  
Students consider many different factors when applying to college. Briefly discuss who or what influenced your decision to apply to Boston University - 2000 characters

During my search for colleges, I've tried to stay focus on schools that could further my goal of some day becoming a successful hotel administrator. Of the things that worried me about college, the quality of education I will receive for business management was a major issue. As a result I have taken a particular interest in an honors program. The School of Management Honors Program provided by Boston University is one of my main reasons for applying. To some, a program of this sort might appear to be restrictive, preventing a prospective student from trying out various courses and trying to find their place. I feel though that I know where I want to be and that a program like this shows me how to get there.

Rochester, the only home I've ever known, is about a six-hour drive from Boston. I love this city with all my heart, but after so many years, I feel like I need some change. The hustle and bustle of Rochester is too much for me to handle and can be overwhelming at times. The people here are always busy and exhausted, and this combination makes many of them inclined to be irritable, and at times unpleasant. From what I researched about Boston, it is also a large city when compared with Rochester. However, unlike Rochester, it does not have the same hustle and bustle which perhaps could give me the chance to look around and even interact with those around me. Along the same vein, I feel there is no better place for a college student, new to the world, than Boston. Growing up in one of the most diverse suburbs in Rochester, Brighton, I would not feel comfortable leaving my home if I was going to live somewhere lacking diversity. This is not true for Boston University, which practically embodies diversity. With so many universities in the area people come in all over the country. It's for this reason that I feel that the environment around Boston University is one in which I can grow, learn, and mature, all away from home.

Can anyone give me input on my essay. Be truthfull and honest. Also can anyone check for constitancy, grammer, and if it answers the question.

Thank you very much.
Your two paragraphs do not tie together particularly well. I'd suggest working on adding transitional material that connects the two together more strongly.

Also, "I've tried to stay focused on schools "
OP mpatel246 3 / 5  
What do you think of its contents
Ivy_91 8 / 18  
Talk more about unique characteristics of Boston U.

Well, you mentioned about going to Boston to escape the hustle and bustle. That's good. But admissions officer could ask you why you are not applying to Boston College, MIT, Harvard, which are all in Boston?

There are lots of universities that are in cities that are less crowded.

So, I think to be the "special" one (Which I assume you would want to be), you have to highlight the "Boston U-only" features.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year!! :D
Yes, Sean is right...

How about:

I feel there is no better place for a college student, new to the world, than Boston. Growing up in one of the most diverse suburbs in Rochester, Brighton, I would not feel comfortable leaving my home if I was going to live somewhere lacking diversity. This is not true for Boston University, which practically embodies diversity. With so many universities in the area people come in all over the country. It's for this reason that I feel that the environment around Boston University is one in which I can grow, learn, and mature, all away from home.

Now you have room to write about specific resources offered by BU, because I crossed out all the weak material about hustle and bustle.

Good luck!!!!!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'I love Rochester, but I need a change' - Boston University Supplement