A Magical Encounter - Stanford Roomate Essay

insanesoul81994 10 / 30  
Can I get advice/suggestions for my roommate essay? Do I not describe myself enough? Thanks!

Dear roommate,
As you enter the dorm please don't be alarmed at the cards, cups, cloths, and other miscellaneous objects scattered around the room. No, the rubber snake will not harm you, nor will a rabbit pop out of my hat without my consent. If you haven't already guessed, I have an obsession for magic tricks. I am also sorry to mention that the saying "a magician never reveals his secrets" still applies, even for roommates. Perhaps if you spend enough time watching me practice or even agree to be my assistant in future performances, you may happen to discover exactly how I made that quarter magically appear from behind your ear.

As my association with magic tricks implies, I live off of the enjoyment of others. The amazement I see in a person's eyes from showing them something profound is invigorating. Whether it's from telling them one of the hundreds of jokes I have stored in my memory or from playing a catchy song on my guitar, my pleasure is derived from discovering what makes each person smile. In order to learn more about the people I am with, I listen. I listen to their idle conversation and to their life story; to what is important and what is unimportant in their eyes; and to what they say and what they have not said. When we meet I will listen to you and either learn what jokes and tricks make you smile or whether or not you like jokes at all.

By the way, you may be shocked when you meet me. Well of course from the shock gum I that I will offer you, but also from the fact that although I am a ravenous eater, my body does not show it. When you put a rapid metabolism and excessive exercise together, you get a thin Korean boy who could not gain any weight, no matter how hard he tried. But put a Philly cheesesteak in front of me and it will be gone just as fast as I can make a quarter disappear. So if you notice that the turkey sandwich that you left on your desk has vanished, you better hope it's somewhere in my sleeves rather than inside my stomach!

I can't wait till we meet,
-Tim
tcohen 1 / 24  
Hey tim! I really like this essay, it is interesting and corky. Good luck
4903abcd 1 / 9  
I agree with the comment above! It's witty. :)
I enjoyed reading it! I wouldn't fix much.
Could you give a feedback on mine?
Thanks
karissa_a16 4 / 94  
The eating part seems irrelevant to me. It's a sudden change of subject and it doesn't flow well. Other than that, I like it!

Home / Undergraduate / A Magical Encounter - Stanford Roomate Essay