Marching Band Leadership (past involvement/experience in marching band)

goldenmachine12 2 / 5  
For Marching Band section leader/drum major tryouts we have to write an essay in addition to everything else for the audition. I tend to have trouble starting an essay and finishing it and i might ramble or repeat things multiple times. So I'm here just asking for some feedback, comments, suggestions, critique. Thank You!

Please respond to the following. Attach additional pages if necessary.
Describe your past involvement/experience in marching band.
Explain why you are auditioning for this position.
What makes you the best candidate for this position?

My high school career and personal being can be defined by marching band. Being a member of the Delran High School Golden Regiment has taught me more about myself, respect for others, having fun, seriousness and about positive experiences more than anything else I have ever participated in, and I would love the opportunity and privilege to be a student leader for the 2012 "Golden Regiment" marching band season.

I have spent two years marching in the "Golden Regiment' and my senior year in high school will be my third, and sadly, last. When I think of marching band and my past experiences these few years, the main thing that comes to mind is the comradery that has been formed between all of the members of this band; which in some ways becomes our second family. I think of the lessons I have learned about being a part of a group and putting needs of others above yourself. I have been honored to have the extremely rewarding feeling that comes with being a part of a group; especially a group like our "golden machine" that plays music, performs a show and tells a story at the same as it tests an individual both mentally and physically. My years of marching on the filed as a bass drum and performing as a member of the pit percussion section have given me a new sense of pride that can not be earned any other way.

In my years of being a member of the percussion section of our marching band I've had student leaders that have helped me successfully get through my first year of band while improving as a musician, marcher and person. Section leaders, in my opinion, are the people of the closer group of musicians playing the same instrument that help motivate the members of the section. They are the people that inspire the rest of the section to play well, meet their personal expectations and ultimately, exceed them. I am auditioning for this position because I would like to join the legacy of extremely important and influential people on and off the field that inspire a section to perform to the best of their ability and beyond it.

A student leader should be a person who can lead by example as well as words, helps to reinforce instructions given by instructors, and exemplifies authority by using respect. I feel as if I am the best candidate for this position because I can do all of these things. [I've learned that true leadership requires action and example in addition to the words that come out of one's mouth and I know that I already and will continue to do this. (?)] A section leader needs to be reliable and dependable, honest, willing to go the extra mile to make a section the best that it can be, committed, personable, and always ready to do any and everything necessary to make a section and the band the best that it can be. I believe I possess these qualities and my willingness to use them makes me the best candidate for this position.

Marching band itself, the instructors and student leaders have had a huge impact on my life and have molded me into a better musician and human being, and I feel extremely grateful, honored and privileged to be a member of this ensemble, and I would love to be a drumline/percussion section leader for the 2012 "Golden Regiment" marching season at Delran High School.

Notes: I didn't want to make it too long, as it was for student leadership and not an English class, but please be tough. I really want this to be stellar. Thank you sooooo much for reading!
lfdz 4 / 31  
Hello again,

Being a member of the Delran High School Golden Regiment has taught me essential qualities such as respect for others..

I think this sentence is too long, make it shorter. *.*

I have spent two years marching in the "Golden Regiment' and my senior year in high school will be my third, and sadly, last

My senior year will be the last of three consecutive years being a member of the Golden Regiment.

I think of the lessons what lessons? I have learned about being a partmember of a group group of what? and putting needs of others above yourself.

I have been honored to have the extremely rewarding feeling that comes with being a part member of a group what group? . I like this sentence =)

My years of marching on the filed field? as a bass drum and performing as a member of the pit percussion section have given me a new sense of pride that can not be earned any other way. are you sure that sense can not be earned any other way?

Best Regards,

Home / Undergraduate / Marching Band Leadership (past involvement/experience in marching band)