Why Michigan? An insight into my life and future.

albo23 1 / -  
Hey everyone, my name is Albert! I am applying to the University of Michigan for a Fall 2012 transfer which will be my sophomore year. I finished one of my essays for my application and I am hoping one of you scholars can take a look! Thank you all.

Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)

Surrounded by my passion for how the economy operates and a family owned business, my life has revolved around the study of economics. Between assisting my uncle make merchandising decisions in his business, I have also commandeered my own department as a department manager in ACO Hardware over the past year. Through my past business achievements in ACO Hardware and even some sparse failures, I have gained a well applied knowledge of economics. On top of my prior economic and business experience, I feel assured that the opportunities provided to me by the University of Michigan will lead me to success in future endeavors.

Through my research of the University of Michigan's College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, the attribute that was most striking was their consistent support and the ability to foster success in their student base. As I ventured through the webpages of LSA, it is apparent to me the amount of care the college bids upon its students. LSA offers various concentrations in many different departments, from Afro-American to Women's studies, providing students with all-encompassing education capabilities. Past that, University of Michigan's LSA continues to garner success from its current students. Within the Economics department, services such as Econ 299 providing credit to students for an internship incentivizing the idea of gaining work experience while enrolled. The department further engages their students with clubs such as the Michigan Economics Society (MES) which host events such as on-campus recruitments which really attract me to the department.

Part of the Michigan difference is "in-class" as well. The rigor and demanding course load at the University of Michigan is not found in other universities within the state and across the nation. Not only are you expected to commit yourself outside the classroom but you have the expectation of showing up inside the classroom as well. The University of Michigan demands much from its students and its expectations are high. This idea fits well within my own life; I have always been a man of high expectations. I created the expectation of achieving academic success being the first in my family to achieve the level I am at now. I set the expectation of finding my biological mother in high school and met it with great success two years ago. I was always the one to establish high expectations for my department in ACO Hardware, often exceeding them as well. Ultimately, the expectations set by Michigan will assist in my continued success.

The University of Michigan's wide array of academic and extracurricular options set it apart from other universities. The vast selection of courses at LSA will help me further my knowledge of economics and through its events outside the classroom, enhance my ability to apply it in the field. No other university can foster such prodigious ideas from its students while having them lead in proficient manners outside the classroom; because of these attributes, LSA is truly Leading in Thought and Action.
rockbiter 1 / 16  
First of all, all I have to say is GO BLUE! It's nice to see a fellow (future) Wolverine on here :) You have got yourself a solid essay. I would watch your word choice sometimes by not repeating the same phrase over and over. The part I put in red - I wasn't sure why the "L," "T," and "A" were capitalized, but I'm sure you have a reason for it. Otherwise, this essay is very well written. As always, go blue! and good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Why Michigan? An insight into my life and future.