Michigan supplement essay; "People often tell me that I act calm"

yiwei95 1 / -  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

People often tell me that I act calm no matter what situation I am in. I assume that this is due to my upbringing. My childhood was never a smooth sailing. I belong to a community of those who had to start from scratch. As an immigrant from China, I have experienced many hardships. When I was five, my family left the comfortable middle class life we had in China and ended up with nothing when we arrived at Canada. From then on, it was a painfully slow process of returning to a comfortable, stable living.

As a kid, I had to move several times, including to different schools. Although I never enjoyed this way of life, I have learned to adapt to many different environments. Also, moving from China to Canada and from Canada to the U.S has allowed me to take in multiple kinds of cultures that have shaped me to who I am today. In a way, I am kind of glad that my life was not easy. It means that I am prepared to face many different obstacles compared to others. Moving to a university would not take much of a toll on me since I have been through similar situations many times before.
neera94 - / 1  
From then on, it was a painfully slow process of returning to a comfortable and stable lifestyle .
multiple kinds of cultures that have shaped me in to who I am today. Just a suggestion but maybe you could trade 'shaped me' for 'molded me' that just a personal preference though

Home / Undergraduate / Michigan supplement essay; "People often tell me that I act calm"