MIT activity Essay---Reading

politik 6 / 34  
Prompt:We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it. (*)(100 words or fewer)

Reading!! I was introduced to reading in a big way in my 9th year when my parents replaced the idiot box with a huge book collection. I drown myself in the fantastic worlds of Tolkien, Asimov and Philip Pullman. I enjoy the feel, color and energy of these fictitious worlds by putting myself in the shoes of the different characters like dragons, balrogs, nazguls and live in futuristic worlds with human-like robots.

I see the world in exciting and unusual ways through the eyes of the characters which has helped me develop different ways to look at a situation. I have been able to enlarge my perceptions and understanding of many issues by reading books.

Is it generic?? Tell me your views..
qomoco 24 / 107  
I think you should tell more about how reading affects you and why you like to read with specific details to support up that one point instead of talking about several differnt things about reading. Not sure if you should waste the word limit by how you were introduced to reading.
fznfire 1 / 32  
I think if you quote some characters from the stories you have learnt that would be more better and credible. In this terse essay it is difficult, I do understand.
Cermi 4 / 12  
You should shorten the opening sentence to save some words for latter parts. Otherwise it seems good.
OP politik 6 / 34  
Here is the edit...however it is very long and disjointed...Please help me out...

'I want the TV back!' ,I was pleading with my parents. I was just 9 when they took the momentous decision to replace the idiot box with a huge collection of books. So, while my other friends watched cartoons, I was busy learning interesting facts about plants, animals and continents. As I became older, I progressed on to reading about world history and famous persons. This helped improve my ...

this curently is 200 words...I need to cut it down into half...help me out!!
hzia2002 2 / 7  
As I became older, I progressed on to reading about world history and famous persons. This helped improve my general knowledge and won lots of quizzes.

I believe the above mentioned sentence can be chopped off. If you just want to focus on fictional reading, then this sentence has no relevance here.
OP politik 6 / 34  
'I want the TV back!'. I was just 9 when my parents decided to replace the idiot box with a huge collection of books. So, while my other friends watched cartoons, I was busy learning interesting facts about plants, animals and continents. Later, I discovered the wonderful world of fiction and dived into the Narnian delights of C.S.lewis and the Multiverses of Philip Pullman. I was fascinated by Tolkien's tale of Middle Earth in Lord of The Rings. Later, I read Ayn Rand and George Orwell.

Howard Roark taught me the importance of our 'self'. I learnt how to face adversity with a positive attitude from Legolas of Lord of The Rings. Showing courage and leading people in dangerous times was taught to me by Roran of the Inheritance trilogy. Reading books has helped me develop different perspectives of looking at the world and people. By getting into the shoes of different characters, I learn how people tend to behave under various circumstances
lowcal 12 / 27  
good introduction. it seems like you improved really well since you're first draft. i like it.
NeoGeo 5 / 11  
I still hold the idea that this particular essay isn't necessarily about showing the admissions officers the huge significance/impact a specific activity has had on you. Rather, its to simply get to know you, to understand what you like to do and why.
OP politik 6 / 34  
Well...if you say so...that practically cuts my problem down...then the essay will read 100 worrds;;:D
colorfuloving 6 / 31  
hey, back to read another [:

I actually like this one, but (not to be a stupid repetitive... person) I agree with NeoGeo. Just write this one from the heart without trying to analyze too much, is what I would do :D

Did you write any consequent versions? I'd love to see.
OP politik 6 / 34  
Final Edit:
I will try to edit yours in turn...

"I want the TV back!" I was pleading with my parents. I was just 9 when they took the momentous decision to replace the idiot box with a full Encyclopedia set. Disgruntled tentative steps into the world of Akbar and Livingstone were soon transformed into rapturous voyages led by Tolkien and Asimov. Books lovingly welcome me in with the stories of travelers, wizards, dragons, nazguls, and futuristic worlds with human-like robots and, humans of course. And when I have something to read in my hands, the only thing that moves is the page.. me? I'm lost to the world..
jpg_76 3 / 18  
I want the TV back!" I was pleading with my parents. I was just 9 when they tookmade the momentous decision to replace the idiot box with a full Encyclopedia set.

Books lovingly

not sure about that word

i like the ending and its a great improvement

good luck! =]

Home / Undergraduate / MIT activity Essay---Reading