MIT essay ,choice of major...

ahmad999 3 / 6  
Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (*) (100 words or fewer)??

here are my two responses of this prompt:-

1)At MIT ,I will opt for chemistry with a minor in biology. I enjoyed organic chemistry in my highschool. I liked the order in the subject and the power it gave me to create new molecules.Later on when I saw these organic molecules coming to action in form of viruses I was stunned. But it occurred to me that if viruses are a product of order then there is a similar order which could destroy them. So,My goal in mit would be to develop such kind of an order:a molecular compound which could compromise the integrity of Virus ,particularly Dengue virus on which I am currently researching, while taking equal benefit from Dr. Todd Rider's research at Lincoln Laboratories on recently developed antiviral therapeutics.

2)I have a natural inclination towards chemistry because of my fascination with colors.In my 9th grade chemistry lab when I saw these colours in action _the purple fumes, pinkish shades, greenish spirals spreading slowly in the water_i was just baffled.Later on I came to know this magic is called experimentation,the beauty of chemistry. Every new experiment I did in high school brought new excitement for me and a feeling like that of Santiago of Alchemist:sometimes puzzled, sometimes startled and sometimes enlightened.This feeling will continue to act as a stimulus for me in extending my own research on dengue while taking benefit from Dr. Todd Rider's research at Lincoln Laboratories on new antiviral therapeutics in developing a molecular compound which could compromise the structural integrity of virus.

Comment ,which one is better?? can any one check it for grammar because i am really poor at it.please also critique if there is any flaw in terms of ideas or any redundancy.Harsh criticism is welcomed.
sm09 1 / 17  
1) I would suggest that you talk about a particular internship or experiment or something that you did outside of school to really show that you have a passion for Chemistry. Even if its something small and simple. Make is sound grand.

I like the second one more. But consider my suggestion. Talking about a specific event or intern really weighs more than talking about a class. I mean we all take a whole bunch of classes and I love all seven of my classes but I shouldn't want to be a chemist, mathematician, english teacher... only because I like them. Talk about something personal that is related to chemistry.

Hope this helps. Could you please look at mine and give me some tips.
ujax 4 / 15  
You should tweak the second one slightly and it would be the better one. The research idea is good because it gives you motivation. I would suggest making your writing more succinct and clear.
OP ahmad999 3 / 6  
many thanks for the help :)
yes i think that the last sentence does not make any sense.i will try to modify it.

Home / Undergraduate / MIT essay ,choice of major...