'mixture of diversities and cultures' - UW's CSE Short Answer Question - Diversity

nqtong 2 / 3  
Hello everyone, I'm currently applying for the CSE program at the University of Washington - Seattle. This major is very, very competitive. My grades probably can't compete with other tech wizards that are also applying so my last chance of getting accepted is this short answer question and the personal statement. Please help me out. THank you very much!!

My total word count is 271.

Describe how you could bring a broad perspective to the engineering classroom. Factors to discuss include, but are not limited to: multi-cultural awareness, activities, or accomplishments; educational background and goals; living experiences, such as growing up in a disadvantaged or unusual environment; and special interests or talents. (Limit to 250 words)

I am a student who have been living in two different worlds during. I considered myself to be Vietnamese-American, or rather someone with two identities. Growing up in Viet Nam, the society there gave me the mindset that people are judged upon their status and appearance. I used to think human natural perspective about others is just all that. However, that conviction left me as I spent half of my life living in the United States. There were more than just social status and appearances. I realized that America is not a community of people with the same culture, language, skin colors, and history.

The modern United States is formed by a mixture of diversities and cultures. The moment I entered my first American school, I soon resolved that there's no way for me to interact with people the same way as I was before. I suffered from racism throughout elementary and middle school. However, I didn't let the misunderstandings of differences in culture faze me from my goals and peculiarity. I ignored the hurtful treatments and kept pushing on.

I have learned three important rules to deal with a distinctiveness coalition. Ones have to be completely open-minded about disparities of others from themselves. Do not get upset over stereotypical comments or racism because the moment ones lose themselves to the remarks is the moment they deny of who they are. Lastly, human can overcome obstacles and achieve great accomplishments if we put our diverseness aside and come together as one. The University of Washington is in support of diversity, hence, it is why I want to attend this great facility.
thanhnguyen 1 / 1  
Tong Nguyen,
I think your essay really has true emotions because I also have the same problem too.
It's my opinion that you should give in some examples or facts either about you or about the university.
Good luck ! :)
OP nqtong 2 / 3  
Thank you for your words. Yes, I would love to write more but I have already cut back on words and I'm still 21 words more than the limits. Stuff about myself would be included in the personal statement that I will be writing soon. But this one is just a little bit about me. Thanks again.

Home / Undergraduate / 'mixture of diversities and cultures' - UW's CSE Short Answer Question - Diversity