My name is Jason - Common App Essay

zman9264 2 / 9  
Any feedback would be appreciated. To be honest, I don't really like it but don't really know how to improve it. Please tear it apart.

Prompt: Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

My name was Zhe Qin (pronounced like "joo-uh" - "chin"). It was the name I grew up with, and for much of my life, the name I shared with society.

At age three, I moved to the United States. Interacting with this new world, I became confused when those around me could not properly pronounce "Zhe." Overwhelmed by mispronunciation after mispronunciation, I grew self-conscious about my name. Luckily, my unease eventually disappeared. My name, I realized, conferred upon me a feeling of uniqueness. I had drawn my name into my identity and needed not worry about those who could not pronounce it - I knew I was Zhe.

Last year, my parents suggested legally changing my name to Jason. For a few years I had used "Jason" as a nickname, for the convenience of friends and teachers who enjoyed a more pronounceable name. Although comfortable as Zhe, I understood that others would prefer to know me by Jason in the future. Yet, as the court date for my name change hearing approached, I began having second thoughts. I worried that I should start identifying myself as "Jason" to everyone, including myself. My sense of identity, of which my name was an integral part, became blurred.

Hours dragged into days, days into weeks. Nagging anxiety consumed me; my mind raced and my heart pounded as I pondered who I was. Lost and confused, I was trapped in an intricate maze, each well-worn path leading to dead ends, to only simple memories or attributes I tied to my name; none led to the exit, to the answer to the question "Am I Zhe?"

When I heard "Zhe," I was reminded of my identity and my past. I thought of my best qualities: cheerfulness, dedication. I recalled memories and emotions, for instance my feeling of belonging when friends or family pronounced my name correctly - something as simple as "Hey, Zhe!" - telling me I was with people who cared about me. Now, I wondered, "If I am no longer Zhe, who am I?" I was paralyzed by fear and apprehension that I would lose myself and all I had become.

Gradually, however, as I struggled through my identity crisis and endeavored to complete my maze, I began seeing myself anew. I had associated each dead end, each aspect of my identity, to my distinctive name, but realized that those features also exist independent of the single word "Zhe." I still have the same memories, ideals, friends, and interests. With this in mind, I finally, and readily, became Jason.

I remain the same individual I was before. Now, though, having persevered through my maze, I understand that an identity is multifaceted, that my name alone, while important, is not essential in determining who I am. Most importantly, as I finally left this arduous labyrinth, I found at the exit myself, Jason Zhe Qin, the coalescence of a lifetime of memories and values. Although I am no longer the child named Zhe, we are still the same person.
sm09 1 / 17  
First I should say: BRILLIANT! I liked how you turned your name change into an essay that made me think about my own identity. Good job.

You used great vocab.
I read it twice and I think its greattt. I have a question though: when you say "Last year, my parents suggested legally changing my name to Jason. For a few years I had used "Jason" as a nickname, for the convenience of friends and teachers who enjoyed a more pronounceable name." was it just your parents or it was you too because I think it sounds better when you say your parents and you.

Anyways GOODDD JOBBB. I love it.

Could you look at mine and tell me if you have any advice/revision. thanks
deremifri 9 / 137  
Suggestion: Don't overuse maze.
Try maybe to incur some other philosophical conclusion about maybe decision making and see if it improves your essay.
You have an interesting topic and a nice writing.

I think in the course of this evening I have lost all pride, so who cares:

Please, please please give me feedback on my movie essay which is at the bottom of the movie essay site. I am really desperate.
OP zman9264 2 / 9  
Thanks for the feedback. I'm really busy tonight so I don't have time, but I will try tomorrow to review your essays. @Max, do you mean the word "maze," or the metaphor? Thanks again!

Any further feedback is appreciated!
DeepaJ19 3 / 8  
I think it's a great essay! The inner strife comes through very well!!
OP zman9264 2 / 9  
Hi, would anyone be willing to offer further feedback? Mostly I would like to know about how the maze analogy flows. Also, would it be necessary to explicitly state some overarching theme about my dedication and introspective nature? I felt it was implied throughout the essay, but maybe I am tainted by my own bias as an author. I'm willing to critique your essays as well! :)
deremifri 9 / 137  
I mean the word.
sarahbee 1 / 49  
This is a really strong essay! It really takes the reader through your conflict and your emotion really showed through. I really don't see anything wrong with it. GREAT JOB!!!!

please return the favor and read mine! i really need some feedback!!!
paw1168 3 / 7  
Not sure about using the word maze maybe some more variety.
Overall, this was amazing.

Home / Undergraduate / My name is Jason - Common App Essay