"The news of my grandmother's passing" - Pepperdine Supplement

ZoeyMorgan 2 / 4  
I'm a little tight on time, ANY help is greatly appreciated! I'll be sure to return the favor

Pepperdine University is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership. How are you prepared to contribute to Pepperdine's mission and community of faith, learning, and service? (500 words or less)

The news of my grandmother's passing had arrived on a warm sunny day, my twelfth birthday. We gathered at her house to sing and eat cake; the adults holding tears back to put forth some sort of happiness for the miserable day. It was then announced that I would be giving the eulogy at the funeral. What? Me? My uncle was already writing one. My nanny had become my guardian angel, I was chosen by her. Already faced with the devastation, this on top of it was just plain fear. I exclaimed I didn't want to do it, that I would cry and not be able to talk, that I was too young. My mother explained that I did not have to do it, but that my Nanny would really want me to.

Days later I stood in front of one hundred people and began to recite the first sentence of my eulogy. Shaking with fear I faced the people and vibrantly began to reflect on the short time I had with my Nanny and the impact she had on me. I had never faced the concept of death before, and with understanding of my catholic beliefs I began to trust my faith and bring the uplifting spiritual presence of the audience. It was the first time I had depended on my faith, and I felt that my faith depended on me. I would have never put myself into a situation such as opening up to a wide range of people and it was a learning experience. I felt that I was special in some way for her to leave earth on my special day and I had to overcome the initial shock to understand the part of life and communicate it to others. I had found strength in myself to believe in my faith and encourage my family to find the strength. This parallels to the Pepperdine standards of strengthening the lives of students in regard to faith, learning, and service through the challenge I overcame and its experience that changed my life.

Although I was frightened, I felt I was to be a pillar. I wanted to endure the strength and learn about death enough to overcome the rush of feelings. I would want to attend a university that values students who push through fear as if is invisible. Initially pushed into fear, I overcame it, and I want to succeed in providing motivation among fellow students. Experiences such as this are learning opportunities that shape me as a person. I want to be a part of a community that encourages strength among faith, service and learning because I want to open up to the world and contribute to what it gives us. I want to face dilemmas directly and help others to realize how they can grow from an experience. At Pepperdine University I feel that I can strengthen myself as a person through my faith and leadership by learning from my peers and motivating them.
diboy2 6 / 23  
This is definitely moving. However, it didn't catch my attention at the beginning that much. I think if you swapped sentences with the second and the first, it might provide a bit more interest. Putting the second sentence in the beginning evokes a little mystery. The reader might start asking why the adults where crying on your birthday. It depends on your opinion, though.
bigbajo 3 / 5  
Good connection to the school.

I would definately change the start. Remove that first sentence completely.
The reader understand from the second sentence that it was your birthday.
And as diboy2 said, it would add some sense of mystery.

Home / Undergraduate / "The news of my grandmother's passing" - Pepperdine Supplement