"Viewing Life Beyond Your Home" - Pepperdine U. Essay Prompt

EKI 4 / 4  
Hi guys! I was wondering if you could help me edit this essay. I'm not sure if this essay answers this question. Please, any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pepperdine University is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership. How are you prepared to contribute to Pepperdine's mission and community of faith, learning, and service?

Spending the summer at Oxaca, Mexico, a third world town, can be very difficult, for there is neither technology nor enjoyment. While Oxaca may not be as enjoyable in the United States, spending time here has caused me to view life differently.

I was extremely hesitant to sign up for this mission trip, because I do not like to travel much. But the real reason was that I heard that you could get killed while spreading the word of God throughout dangerous territories. I guess the fear of death has made me not sign the permission slip in the first place. No matter how many people pressured me into going on this mission, I kept saying "no" to them. Eventually, I said, "Yes"; not because I wanted to go, but because I made a deal with my parents. In exchange for going on this mission, I would receive an expensive gift when I get back. Without hesitation, I flew to Mexico. Who knew that the fear of death could be overcome by an expensive gift?

While I was down in Mexico, I prayed to God that I would return home safely. I guess you could say that I am a selfish person, whose sole desire is to live. But while I was in Mexico, something happened. While my team and I were spreading the word of God, singing praises with the children, or doing fun activities with them, the fear inside my mind and heart was gone instantly. Seeing the children happy has made me become happy too. Spreading the word of God in a miserable place has opened my eyes, for there are people in this world suffering, while I and many others have been living in a safe environment. My heart goes out to these poor people and I wish I could do more for them, but I realized that educating these people about the word of God is the greatest gift that you could give them.

I would like to think that I have achieved much on this mission, but this one-week experience is not enough for me to learn about the realities of life. Being part of the Mexico missions, I have gained a new perspective on how I should live. Knowing that people are suffering worldwide, I plan to put my faith in God, teach people about the word of God, and serve them with humility and humbleness. I plan to serve more once I graduate from college. My goal is to expand my Christian belief unto desolate areas that need God, and I plan to start at Los Angeles while I am attending school. I know that I can be an asset because my enthusiasm is contagious and has grown ever since Mexico. Throughout the rest of my life, I will continue to learn through my own experiences, learn what life has given me, and I will also offer my own unique perspective to the world and the people around me.
cupnoodle123 15 / 52  
I love it!! I'm a Christian too, and well...i've been struggling with writing about a Christian experience for my Common App essay....do you think I should write about my experience 1) moving to a new church with my church family...and the place was really small and lacked a lot, but it taught me to be content and know that wealth doesn't come with just expensive buildings and such...or 2) being a Christian in high school, and getting over the awkwardness to share my faith (which maybe I shouldn't write about cuz well...i'm still learning to overcome the awkwardness of it)
OP EKI 4 / 4  
I think you should go with number 2, because the more powerful your story is, the better way to grab the attention of readers.
cupnoodle123 15 / 52  
Can you read my new Common app essay...please critique because I really need outside ppl's view of it-- THanks!!!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Viewing Life Beyond Your Home" - Pepperdine U. Essay Prompt