Northwestern Supplement - Why Northwestern?

timeturner36 8 / 26  
Hey! Basically I just wrote this entire thing not knowing what the anticipated length should be and where I should go, but this is the end product. Any constructive criticism is welcomed, and thank you so for reading! :)

What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

As a seventeen year old girl, I have had my share of traveling. Having lived in three different countries on two different continents divided by the Atlantic Ocean, my life has been enriched by both eastern and western cultures. Moving has never troubled me, and instead of lamenting what I must leave behind, I celebrate the adventures that await me. As a high school senior who desires to leave the familiar east coast in the pursuit of a new habitat, I hope to spend the next four years of my life at Northwestern University, aptly named for the frontiers it represents in higher education.

To me, college should offer an abundance of possibilities for exploration and growth while still allowing me to pursue my existing passions and enthusiasm. The Weinberg College of Arts and Science offers a wide spectrum of academic disciplines and intellectual opportunities that would without a doubt satisfy my raw and sincere passion for learning. In its liberal arts curriculum, I will be able to merge several academic disciplines into my education. As an undergraduate student, I would be able to take courses in the Biological Studies major such as "Biology of Cancer" and "Mind and Brain" while taking classes unrelated to science such as "Gender Studies for a Small Planet" and "Evolution of Moral Systems". As someone who is interested in pursuing medicine, I would not only need a concrete background in biological studies but also a comprehensive appreciation for the humanities subjects. At the same time, Northwestern is also a pre-professional school that places a lot of emphasis on life beyond college. The balance between undergraduate studies and pre-professional development would nudge me in the right direction and equip me with well-rounded education I need to succeed in the Information Age world we live in today.

Furthermore, Northwestern University has a highly diverse student body. The reason I prefer to never stay in one place for too long is so that I would not miss out on chances to meet people who have had different life experiences than my own. At Northwestern, such individuals are concentrated in one single campus, and this myriad of cultural heterogeneity will complement and enhance my educational experiences.

My own travels have shaped me into someone who continuously seeks the next frontier. At Northwestern University, I would not only be able to receive an education filled with endless possibilities but also benefit from the exciting dynamic created by the rich life experiences of those around me. I eagerly anticipate the day on which I, too, can join the cultural mosaic on the Northwestern University's intellectual frontier, and mark my territory on the Rock.
OP timeturner36 8 / 26  
Would anyone like to read? I really would like some help with this one :)
Your essay is shaping up nicely! Here are a few things to change;

I have lived in three different countries...

I can only imagine how incredible it would be to work alongside with prominent researchers...

The reason why I prefer to never stay in one place for too long...

My own travels have shaped me into someone who unwaveringly seeks the next frontier.

I anticipate with eagerness, marking my territory on the Rock.
ZuluYaN 1 / 4  
I like your essay.

Especially the latter half.

In fact I do think you should list fewer facts of NU, Ao knows there are 2000 courses and 50 majors so they don't need you to repeat. What you do need to demonstrate is what these courses are going to do to YOU. Like you did in the latter half.

Not everyone had an experience of three country and two cultures, since NU loved diversity, you got your edge, so enlarge it, talk more of your life on the frontier.

Home / Undergraduate / Northwestern Supplement - Why Northwestern?